Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question of transparency - Help or Harm?
(07-Dec-2015, 14:46)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(07-Dec-2015, 14:06)NickB Wrote: Still have to say that with Windows 10 Air is perfect, and if the difference for me was Windows10 as it did not work in Win7 or Win8.1 - where is the fault in Air or in Windows/Mac operating systems?

Not wishing to drag things too off-topic, but in general, applications are written to run on specific operating systems - as advertised at release or according to maintenance updates.

If an application doesn't run correctly on the operating system it's designed for, then the fault is with the Application not the operating system.  Whether the OS is the cause or contributor to its poor performance is another matter.  If there were no other 'virtual sound cards' on the market that worked reliably, then perhaps one could argue that the affected OS's were incapable of performing that task, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Products need constant updates to work around OS issues, bug, changes etc.  If Air is relying on an aspect of an operating system that doesn't do what it needs reliably, then it hasn't been designed properly.

Simply saying it works for you on Windows 10 in your setup, while reassuring, doesn't mean the Application works as intended/advertised or that the OS can be blamed.

If it's true that the Windows 10 version works reliably for everyone, then thats a success and perhaps they've cracked it for that OS and that's great news.  If they're still saying Air is compatible with Mac's or other windows versions however, and there are issues, then it still needs fixing for the other OS's.

So, coming back to transparency....  It's one thing to say 'Air works reliably on Win10, and is provided as-is for other operating systems where playback reliability can't be guaranteed'.  Fair enough, you either takes your chance outside of those restraints, or you consider the feature not available to you and workaround it, or move to another product.  But saying it works and kind of hoping people are OK with it when they buy it and it doesn't, isn't being open and transparent, among other things…..

Actually most (all) people running Win10 seem to have a perfect experience with AIR and using AIR 2.1.3 which was written before Win10 was released. So not sure how they could write it to work with Win10 it just works with it. This makes me think that there are other problems than just AIR at work here.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers

Messages In This Thread
RE: Question of transparency - Help or Harm? - by NickB - 07-Dec-2015, 18:01