Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'RoonReady' not coming to Devialet….
(13-Jan-2016, 09:40)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(11-Jan-2016, 18:04)Antoine Wrote: I'm wondering if it's even possible to run the required RAAT software package inside the Expert range.

For Phantom using the Dialog it should be no issue at all but there's probably not enough memory and computing power available on the DUET interface card, or elsewhere, inside our 'Experts'. There's only 32MB of memory and a lightweight FPGA (Altera CycloneIII EP3C5) on the DUET besides the DSP (Analog Devices ADSP-21488). Don't think this is powerful enough but mind you I am not an embedded systems developer (I'm not a developer at all. Wink) See attachment for a picture of the DUET card, mind you it's much smaller than it appears.

I posted the gist of these specs over at Roons forums, and heard back from Brian (CTO) today:

Quote:brian brian Brian Luczkiewicz CTO of Roon Labs
January 13
That's pretty tight. Without the exact details it's hard to say for sure, though.

We've crammed audio streaming into performance-constrained platforms before. It's no fun for anyone, and there's very limited headroom for growing/evolving the system over time. Alternative network stacks (basically, anything other than BSD, Linux, and Windows) have been a source of repeated trouble, too, so we are avoiding platforms built that way as a rule.

So, OK, not ideal, but I'm still not ruling it out.  

Even if worst-case its technically impossible on the Experts, I still think Phantom owners should have the option (I don't have Phantom).

I always think positive - "where there's a will, there's a way"….

Thanks, good to know. Devialet might have to remove AIR from the Altera to make room for RAAT. Not very likely to happen....
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB

Messages In This Thread
RE: 'RoonReady' not coming to Devialet…. - by ogs - 13-Jan-2016, 10:45