Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Software Updates for Expert Amplifiers
(14-Feb-2016, 08:53)thumb5 Wrote:
(13-Feb-2016, 18:41)Hifi_swlon Wrote: ...
I think they made a mistake with its implementation, and just couldn't fess up - although in another post here they seem to have been quoted saying they based it on 'an unreliable protocol'.

AIR is based on UDP which is "unreliable" in the sense that it does not guarantee delivery.  But no-one chooses to use UDP without knowing that and making a conscious decision about it.  So it's simply disingenuous of Devialet to suggest that "an unreliable protocol" has anything to do with the unreliability of AIR.

(13-Feb-2016, 18:41)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I'm not interested in Dialogue compatibility either. It seems like a badly designed piece of equipment, hindered by bad software, and means another box attached to the Devialet.

...all of which make it completely unacceptable to me as a "solution" to the problems with AIR, as Devialet have proposed in the past.

(13-Feb-2016, 18:41)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I hope they surprise me and release a new AIR that works for everyone. I'll be ecstatic and people will get what they're owed. I just don't see it. (Sorry).

+1

So first Devialet tell us that UPNP is not fit for purpose, yet Linn (and no doubt plenty of others) have implemented this with no dropouts or white noise and with reasonable sound quality. And now we find out that Devialet have based AIR on UDP, "an unreliable protocol"?! Hmm...  Dodgy

I agree that attaching a Dialog to the Expert is a completely unacceptable solution, and I believe I have always said so.

I think Devialet need to completely rethink the whole streaming/CP area for the Expert range, particularly in light of all the recent innovations coming to the market (including Roon of course). I've suggested the Ravenna networking protocol before, which is essentially AIR on steroids and was built for studio applications. But this would requite a substantial investment in resources and it's just possible that Devialet have more pressing priorities, with Spark for instance.   

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Next Software Updates for Expert Amplifiers - by GuillaumeB - 14-Feb-2016, 13:28