Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Software Updates for Expert Amplifiers
(14-Feb-2016, 13:28)GuillaumeB Wrote: So first Devialet tell us that UPNP is not fit for purpose, yet Linn (and no doubt plenty of others) have implemented this with no dropouts or white noise and with reasonable sound quality. And now we find out that Devialet have based AIR on UDP, "an unreliable protocol"?! Hmm...  Dodgy

I agree that attaching a Dialog to the Expert is a completely unacceptable solution, and I believe I have always said so.

I think Devialet need to completely rethink the whole streaming/CP area for the Expert range, particularly in light of all the recent innovations coming to the market (including Roon of course). I've suggested the Ravenna networking protocol before, which is essentially AIR on steroids and was built for studio applications. But this would requite a substantial investment in resources and it's just possible that Devialet have more pressing priorities, with Spark for instance.   

Guillaume

Which is why Roon RAAT could be such an easy save, especially if AIR is still riddled with problems. Roon have made it very easy to incorporate their protocol into firmware, there are a whole plethora of slim devices coming out and some of the purpose designed manufacturers have, or want to adopt it. Goodness sake, even Naim could adopt this protocol if they wanted to (but that's another argument)!! It takes all the angst out of the software development department, and it will give you a music manager and GUI interface that Spark can only wish in a million years to better. Your money will be much better spent on Roon subs than a Dialog.

I just think Devialet arrogantly believe they know what they are doing with their software. Patently, even in the Phantom / Spark / Dialog department this does not seem to be the case. Apart from a few that you can probably count on one hand, AIR has never worked fuss-free and reliably. Time to let go Devialet.

To me the iOS remote is another case in point, if we are not going to get a hardware remote that completely reflects the Expert window, then a refresh of the app is sorely overdue, the software development here seems non-existent.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Next Software Updates for Expert Amplifiers - by AllenB - 14-Feb-2016, 14:34