Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Software Updates for Expert Amplifiers
(17-Feb-2016, 16:32)thumb5 Wrote: UDP is normally reckoned to be layer 4 (transport), although it's a pretty thin veneer over IP at layer 3 (network).

I've witnessed Ravenna being implemented in the pro-audio environment (UK commercial radio space), and indeed it works extremely well.  However, to reduce risk it's implemented backed with high end (read expensive) LAN kit, which is monitored as closely at a packet level as anything coming out of the speakers is.  All wired, no wireless.

I think this speaks to the overall point surrounding the whole Air issue - Devialet threw something out there that likely worked fine in the lab, but once in the wild it's a very different story.  We all have different home network setups, with different tolerances, network hardware, cables etc.  Devialet clearly couldn't legislate for this, whatever set of protocols & buffering they selected has extremely mixed results as illustrated by the varying experiences of those on this forum.

My own experience with Air was over in one rainy afternoon - I have an inherent distrust of anything that rides on my home wifi network, despite it being relatively robust, and IMHO properly engineered.  After the first few dropouts when playing hi-res I decided I didn't want to spend any time trying to fix it, and moved on.  I'm currently USB connected from a Mac mini, all controlled by Roon.  Works first time every time and sounds superb.

For me, native Roon support by Devialet would be the panacea.  Once you've used the Roon interface there's no going back.  The guys really seem to know their engineering at a network protocol level, which was proved by their fuss-free introduction of support for the Squeezebox hardware eco system recently.  A Roon controlled whole house system kicks anything else around the car park!

I'd add my voice to the suggestion to lobby Devialet to support Roon, my hope is the weight of evidence & other manufacturers getting on board will eventually force their hand, although I'm not holding my breath....
Devialet 200, MacMini, Roon control via iPad, B&W CM10 S2 Speakers.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Next Software Updates for Expert Amplifiers - by Vincent - 17-Feb-2016, 21:41