Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spark is so awful - I hope Airplay is coming
Agree completely that Spark is absolute crap and Devialet should be embarrassed to have put it out in it's original and latest forum.  I originally got around Spark by connecting Sonos directly to dialogue and using Sonos app.  But the drawback was that Sonos does not play HD audio files.  Now I am using Roon Labs with server on PC streaming to the new Sonicorbiter SE which I believe is the cheapest hardware (300 USD) that is certified RoonReady/RoonSpeakers.  The Roon software blows away the competition if you have not tried it - nothing is close.  Plus the Sonicoribiter SE streams HD files from server while being controlled on iPad.  Roon Labs has a huge library of lyrics and can seamlessly integrate your Tidal Favorites into your own collection.  Absolutely brilliant piece of software.  So much so that hardware manufacturers (including sonos) should just give up on software or just stop developing and keep what they have for those who don't want to pay up for Roon.

Now here is what I can't understand.  Over in the Roon Labs forum (or maybe it was in this forum) it was stated by someone that Devialet has no interest in integrating the Roon Labs streaming protocol (RATT) directly into the Phantoms or Dialogue so you would not need to buy something like the Sonicorbiter SE.  Correct me if you know otherwise, but I don't think Roon labs charges the hardware manufacturers for this because they want it integrated into as much hardware as possible as they make money via end user subscription (annual or lifetime).  The only reason I can think that Devialet is resistant to integrating Roon directly into the Phantoms or Dialogue is that perhaps they generate some revenue from the streaming services they integrates into Spark and doing this would violate those agreements.

Bottom line is Roon Labs plus Phantoms are a great combination.  It's just unfortunate the Devialet is forcing it's user base to use Spark unless they get creative and spend a bit more on solutions such as Roon or Sonos.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Spark is so awful - I hope Airplay is coming - by Lolo90 - 11-Feb-2016, 02:03