Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spark is so awful - I hope Airplay is coming
(11-Feb-2016, 08:33)frenkb Wrote:
(10-Feb-2016, 20:26)booshtukka Wrote: As seems to be the general consensus here, the speakers themselves are amazing. But the app is crap.
  • The volume control in the Spark app is designed by a mad person. You should be able to move a control its full distance in one smooth movement. This click, drag, release, move, click, drag, release rubbish is insanity.
  • The English text is poorly translated French which is often difficult to understand. The same applies to their website. Some might find this endearing, I find it amateur.
  • I can build one playlist, but I can't save it, or make multiple playlists. The playlist disappears between plays.
  • I can't view more details about a track – I sometimes have many copies of a track, so I can't tell which file type or quality one I'm trying to play.
  • Many tracks say "data not available", or are unplayable and it's not clear why.
  • When I search for tracks, they often don't show up even though I know they're there, or the app defaults back to showing everything even though I've entered a search term.
  • There's no ability to search just by track name, artist name, album name, etc.
  • There is no mechanism to refresh the track list. Some old tracks seem to persist even when I've deleted them.
  • I can't choose to have the music stop when I quit the app.

The whole thing is an unreliable and buggy embarrassment. Really not what I would expect from a company that can make balls that sound so wonderful, or from a company that charges nearly £5000 for a pair of them. Devialet, please outsource this to someone who understands human interface design instead of assuming you know better. Do they even read these forums?

I know Devialet have said they are working on Apple Music support. I hope that includes Airplay support, and I can ditch the app altogether.

Though I recognise some of the critique you have, I still work with Spark daily and it's working fine for me. The playlist are lacking yes, and playing files from a local source really needs work. But since I use Tidal I'm quite happy. Search works well for me, I find everything that's in Tidal (searching on tracks, albums, artists the like) and "data not available" only appears when the file is not available in FLAC. 

You last point is because Spark is not playing the files directly, the Phantoms are streaming themselves. All different apps can control the Phantoms (I operate from my MacBook pro, iPhone and iPad) so when which one closes should the Phantoms stop playing? And the bad translation, what's wrong with French? Maybe we should accept more languages are okay and it's amateuristic to expect everything to always be in English Smile.

Again, Spark for sure needs (a lot of) work but for me it gets the job done.

Hi frenkb: I totally agree with you. i using spark on the same way as you do only then with quboz and it's working for me also fine, especially when using the devialet remote. That thing is great for me and the whole family!  Rolleyes 

And yes devialet has to do a several updates etc., but i have confidence that if we give devialet the time it certainly will be fine.  Smile 

I operate also with macbookpro and ipad's en several i phono's and it's just good that when one of these devices/apps closes that the music is not stop playing. At this way you can take over the music from every device without stopping the music. If you want to stop the music, just do it in the spark app on one of the devices.

Also the language i totally agree with you, we do our best to give it in the best englisch we have Cool 
However unfortunate that there are people like sekriT on this site who find it necesarry to have to give up critism here in a rude way Angry 

I think devialet delivers a great job, especialy if you use the system as intended.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Spark is so awful - I hope Airplay is coming - by Johnnydev - 11-Feb-2016, 10:08