Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Suspended Floor and Speaker Isolation
I'm in almost the same position - thin (old, about 130 years and very dry wood) suspended floor, small room about 12x12. My Raidhos have an unusual stand design which dissipates the energy to the floor so probably affected even more. Suspended floors are a known problem area with these particular stands.   Many people use granite slabs - chopping boards effectively. I have a couple but the problem is the speakers can slide across them and it makes it rather easy to knock the speakers off. I did actually catch one after knocking it while hoovering!
As the room is on the ground floor the first thing I did is make something to couple the underside of the floorboard with the ground underneath using some threaded tie-bars and big blocks of wood on either end. These are tightened up until they're just about raising the floorboards. They do come loose periodically as it's just soft compacted earth under the floor.     I'm not massively convinced this made a significant difference but it gave me some peace of mind.
I've tried various things under the speaker stands - perspex sheets, granite, wood. I even made some adjustable platforms which are a thing of beauty but almost completely useless!   I've tried various things under each stand foot too - mainly spike cups, even though the feet aren't actually spikes - and they've not really made much difference.   I have the Raidho adjustable 'resonance' feet now which are positive, though I'm annoyed these didn't come as standard.
The Entreq dealer managed to sell me some Vibb Eaters - bags of minerals that supposedly dissipate vibration. I have one of each sitting on the 'shelf' at the bottom of the stand assembly. They seem to have a fairly positive effect.

I'm actually reasonably happy with the way things are. The changes together seem to have made a pretty positive difference. The speakers need to come further away from the wall - that's probably the biggest issue now rather than the floor.

I haven't tried the Townshend platform but it looks like it could do a pretty decent job and I've thought about trying them myself in the past. Definitely worth a try.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Suspended Floor and Speaker Isolation - by Rufus McDufus - 12-Feb-2016, 09:34