Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Experts Empirical Knowledge Part 2
(15-Feb-2016, 13:05)Rodney Gold Wrote: ... and there is actually no reference , dealer , trained ear , whatever has no idea of what the mastering engineer heard.

I heard the argument with the mastering engineer very often while working in the shop. I always said, that we will never know what this engineer heard and that it's not important in the first place.

Did you ever come to the experience to hear livemusic but not seeing it because it being out of view?

One example.
Me and my family were walking through a 5floor-high mall last christmas which was open to all floors in its center and there was christmasmusic (yeah, what else?) playing in the background all through the mall.
When we came in, and I was aware of it in the first, I instantly knew that it was live music. I said to my wife and my two kids, "Hey hear it, they are playing live somewhere in here". My kids are to young to make this distinction in sound, but my wife could have done it. But...she didn't instead asking me "are you sure?"
For me it was obvious in the very first second. And for sure as we went up 2floors there was a music teacher playing saxophone together with 5 teenagers all playing different instruments.

In fact the problem for all of us is, that we don't have the accruate vocabulary to describe the typical character of live music...but there is no question when you are trained to hear these typical characters, besides hearing live music more frequently and therefore being trained by experience, you are able to hear the distinctive improvements when tuning your system.
It doesn't matter being it changing the speakers, cables, bases, puks or anything. If the performance is only getting that tiny little bit nearer to live music (or an instrument sounding more like playing live in front of you) you know it in just a second.

And I don't need a double blind for that. For me it's like my eyes seeing a car on the street knowing it's a car there. And your ears are even more sensitive in differentiation than your eyes.

You know what? It would be great benefit to do some double blind test with real blind persons. No offending, please! They should be more expert than anyone of us when it comes to hearing.

A blind person has most probably established a decent sense in hearing. It's a survival for her/him. I think it is even scientifically prooven that someone not born blind, then getting blind, is developing a far better hearing over time, isn't it?

So why is it in all this posts around hifi-forums that some people challange other people having a better hearing than themselves? May it be vanity?

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Experts Empirical Knowledge Part 2 - by yabaVR - 15-Feb-2016, 14:35