Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSD + Passthrough = No Volume Control
From my (fairly limited) understanding, it's recognised that pretty much all recording uses high bit depth PCM or other proprietary format - because it's necessary for mixing -  but since they put a final master out at DSD or DXD or whatever you call it, the version you buy is allegedly meant to be identical to that.

Well, that's my understanding anyway. Personally I've got limited DSD files, and not of my favourite music type as its mostly classical. The Devislet only does DSd64 which it then converts back to PCM for its processing and then I assume back to DSD again for final output, so it all seems a bit pointless on a Devialet. I couldn't tell much difference but I'm not inclined to convert to anther format and compare.

It seems it's more useful for other high end DACs that can run native DSD, thereby avoiding all of the DACs internal filtering/processing that takes PCM up to DSD before final output.

I think the HQPlayer designer has found a way to process DSD natively - at least for convolution/room correction purposes, and that includes volume adjust. Not sure how, but he does seem to be regarded as a signal processing guru.

One things for sure, DSDs take up a lot of space!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Messages In This Thread
RE: DSD + Passthrough = No Volume Control - by Hifi_swlon - 17-Feb-2016, 22:37