Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are HiFi entusiasts negative to Phantoms ?
I am not surprised that Phantoms are being criticized. If you goto a local shop, they can only demo Phantoms using Tidal or such. Sellers don't have patience to figure out how to connect dialog to their demo server. I told the seller I am going to test it before I pay $6000 for it and he agreed. I spent almost 3 weeks to be connect dialog to my server after spending more money on third party USB bridges and other stuff (not fun). But a hard core audiophile won't give a damn. Let's face it. Current functionality of Spark is not for audiophiles! If we cannot directly play our DSD files without downsampling, we have right to sandbag it. Phantoms are just like Apple products. It's sold to people who don't know much about music and they want a DAC, speaker and SAM technology all in one package, so they don't have to figure out things like PC users.

Alternatively, it is a good secondary unit for audiophiles. Say you have a 200 grant system in your basement but you want something similar in your upstairs office or bedroom.

As long as Devialet delays the firmware development of dialog they promised to play direct DLNA connectivity, phantoms will not be appreciated by high end buyers.
Remote >> 2x Silver Phantoms << Eth << Dialog UPNP << JRiver MediaCenter 24 - Ubuntu 18.04 x64 [VMWare] << File server - Windows 10 x64 [Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F, Xeon E3-1425 v5, 46 Tb, 16Gb DDR4 ECC]    * Spark is only used to update firmware *

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why are Audiophiles negative to Phantoms ? - by sekriT - 18-Feb-2016, 13:42