Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are HiFi entusiasts negative to Phantoms ?
McChicken,

It is a curious thing, I agree. I don't doubt that for many traditional hifi enthusiasts, the very non-traditional approach and form of the Phantom is something that 'just cannot be correct'.

Like you, we listen to streamed music 90% of the time, using Spotify and Deezer (both paid subscriptions, so possibly the better quality Deezer service). Better to have the music than constantly worry about the highest quality. In the same way, I love the simplicity of the expert series, and I'm also very intrigued by the Phantoms. The constant fussing with changing DAC's or cables or power supplies or yearning for the next step up the ladder is one of the aspect of hifi that I most wanted to get away from. I had a one-box Naim previously, and now have a one-box Devialet.

Was it soundstage (Jeff Fritz and co) that reviewed the Phantoms as outstanding musical products? Hans Weitzel. Anyhow, I think that they concentrated on the musical reproduction performance of the Phantoms, and did not consider the 'zero fuss factor' as a drawback. I'm referring to the lack of upgrade options, not dismissing any set up or dialogue difficulties some are experiencing.

Both the Phantom and Expert products do seriously reduce the opportunity (or possibly desire) to spend money on hardware or peripheral upgrades, so it is no surprise that anyone who is invested in expensive accessories, or who's interest in hifi is largely about playing with the gear, will have a hard time giving the Phantoms a fair trial. IMO.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why are HiFi entusiasts negative to Phantoms ? - by Damon - 18-Feb-2016, 20:41