Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio digital interfaces-- connecting a music server to Dialog
I wanted to share my research on how to connect Dialog to a music server.  In absence of DLNA support by Dialog, there are many options to connect Dialog to a music server.  The easiest way to connect is to use the sound chip on the motherboard of your server or an add-on PCIe card such as Asus Xonar Essence II.  However these are probably the worst options because of the noise that is inherited from the motherboard power supply and components on it.  It is better to use an external audio interface to do the sound processing, and it would be ideal if this interface has a separate linear power supply, high quality USB cable and power cable. It should also be able to support all the possible sampling rates for your variety of music sources (DSD, FLAC, ALAC, etc). Highest rate Phantoms can play is 24/192.  It must have an optical output for dialog as well. You know how expensive these systems can get depending on how deep your pocket is (see price on popular Linn music servers).  Fortunately there are less costly options for folks like us, waiting for Dialog to support DLNA one day. Popular and cheaper options mostly based on  XMOS  chips

Below are some of the devices that can be used as an interface to dialog.   

I opted for Breeze DU-U8 which has these specs:

Input: USB
Output: coaxial, fiber optic, IIS (RJ45 Ethernet port), AES / EBU
Bit depth: 16bit 24bit 32bit

Sampling Rate Support:

PCM: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 352.8kHz, 384kHz (coaxial, fiber optic, AES supports a maximum of 192K, 192K or more transmission requires IIS)

DSD: DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 (2.822, 3.072, 5.644, 6.144, 11.2896 and 12.288MHz) (DSD requires the use of IIS transmission and the need for DAC supports)

Environment: Windows / MAC / part of the mobile device (phone, tablet)

Below are some of the other options you have:  Trust me there are many more but I can't remember their names now.  I cannot give recommendations on devices other than Breeze since I have not tested them. But I can assure you $100 Breeze is superior to $250 Asus Xonar Essence II PCIe addon sound card or the best Realtek onboard chip.

Breeze DU-U8
Hydra Z
Melodious MX-U8
Gustard U12
iDAC2 
Paul Pang USB card
Musiland USB3.0 
M2Tech EVO with LPS
Audiophileo 2
M2Tech Hiface 
Remote >> 2x Silver Phantoms << Eth << Dialog UPNP << JRiver MediaCenter 24 - Ubuntu 18.04 x64 [VMWare] << File server - Windows 10 x64 [Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F, Xeon E3-1425 v5, 46 Tb, 16Gb DDR4 ECC]    * Spark is only used to update firmware *