Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bristol Sound and Vision Show 2016
(24-Feb-2016, 16:13)Gentleman Wrote: Hi.

If I am allowed to place a wish for an audition I would point towards Wilson Benesch ACT One Evo.

I am interested on a first impression of this new speaker which was positioned by Mr. Sircom close to the latest Magicos....

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan

What to say here?  When I first visited the Wilson Benesch room they were demonstrating the Discovery II standmount, I think together with the Toros Infrasonic Generator.  First impressions of this set up were good, and I did have to wander up to the speakers to be clear if it was the Discovery's or the ACT One's actually running. (they were side by side)  The problem with this demonstration was the music.  OK, we all have different tastes in music, but there were a couple of people listening that got a fit of the giggles actually laughing at how bad the music was.  Intrigued, I "Shazamed" one of the tracks, it was "Bohmenian Rhapsody" (so far so good), by the "California Guitar Trio" (oh dear).  This is a kind of Spanish guitar instrumental version of the great Queen classic.  All I can say is that if you need clearing up, try finding this track on line, it might make you happy for all the wrong reasons.  No offence is intended to any forum members who are fans of the "California Guitar Trio", anyone's own musical taste is entirely their own business, there is much music I like that I am sure others would be horrified by.  The point is, there is a limit to how much you can judge a system based on acoustic guitar music, no vocals, no bass, symbols and many other things.  This was taking "safe" to the extreme.  Later I returned to the Wilson Benesch room when they were running the Wilson Benesch ACT One Evo.  This time there was a sign on the Toros Infrasonic Generator clearly stating that it was not running.  My impressions?  To be honest it is hard to say, with more bland acoustic fair being played, but they did have a peculiar tone to them, they sounded kind of "hollow".  Impossible to judge though with the room set up and music played, but it is fair to say that I preferred the Discovery stand-mounts being played earlier.  I'll be kind to the speakers and put all this down to a poor demo, but I can only judge from what I have heard, and on the day they didn't sound like £20k's worth of speaker to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNNcMDZn2Qk
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
Bristol Sound and Vision Show 2016 - by NickB - 21-Feb-2016, 20:56
RE: Bristol Sound and Vision Show 2016 - by Confused - 28-Feb-2016, 11:51