Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about d 200 subwoofer output
hallo,
This is my first post. I'm interested to buy the d 200 model. My current amp directly converts pcm to pwm und has a subwoofer output where i can set the xo frequency,level and delay.
Also it has eq built in to cut bass peaks. I need all this functionality and when talking to devialet in france they told me their amps can also do this.

Today i contacted a dealer in hamburg where i live and he told me yes you can use subout but without the possibility to adjust xo frequency, delay etc. i'm confused about the different information i'm getting and would like to ask the experts here which information is correct. Ghanks in advance cor any comments.

Duomike
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
Hello!

Yes, you can configure the maximum output level, cross-over frequency and slope, and a delay for the sub-woofer output.  If you haven't already done so, it's worth having a play with the on-line configurator at http://en.devialet.com/configurator/advanced.  That should give you a better feel about what is and is not possible.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
The dealer is wrong. I agree with Thumb5.

And to add; there's no real EQ inside the Devialet except for two very basic shelf filters (low and high frequencies with adjustable cut off frequency). I personally use a DSpeaker AntiMode DC 2.0 for EQ and this works like a charm, but there are plenty of other solutions as well. They're just not built into the Devialet's (yet?).
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Thanks for the info, very useful. Have been to the advanced configurator before but could not find this option. Checked it out again and found it. The rca digital inputs can be configurated as subout with delay, level xo frequency and slope. Thats great. Will go and buy the unit this week.

One last question, is it possible to apply some eq to the subout and how?
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
Sorry overlooked antoines reply. All questions answered. Thanks to both of you!
Now that Duomike has had his question answered do you mind me jumping in.

Just recently got a pair of D-Premiers and hooking-up my Paradigm Sub1. Realise it's difficult to always give a general answer as everyone's set-up is different (especially room make-up), but I've attached what I believe is the correct way to hook up my Sub.

Appreciate any comments where I may be going right or wrong (I've searched on the forum, but can't seem to find any specific answers to my type of question).

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
John

1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
It looks right to me, apart from the fact that the high-pass filters on the main speaker outputs should be enabled when the pre-out is enabled rather than when it's disabled, which I think is what you've set up. With the pre-out off, I'd configure the main speakers to be full-range.

Should have asked...is it not working at all, or not sounding as you had hoped?
Warwickshire, UK
Thumb5

The problem I seem to find is that the Configurator won't let me set the Pre-Out's to on. As soon as I set the main speakers to Pre-Out: On it always then reverts back to Off (it never stays on when I go back into the config).

The issue isn't that I don't have any bass as with the remote I can change the Bass Mode from 2.0 to 2.1 and back (not sure what it starts out from), and I can hear the difference when toggling between each. It's just that the bass doesn't sound quite as "Loud" as I hoped. No not loud as such, as don't really want to hear the sub, but can't think of a better phrase to say. I have a Sub1 that can push out nice clean "Loud" Bass (6 x 8" drivers), but it doesn't quite seem there when watching action movies.

As an aside is it right to set at 4th filter order or should I set it to a lower order (understand t's hard to tell how best for each individual's set-up).

Cheers
John

1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
John,

Think of the pre-out off/on in the main speaker set-up as two distinct, parallel sets of configuration: one for when the sub is disabled (pre-out off) and one for when it's enabled (pre-out on). Both are stored in the configuration file. It doesn't matter that the configurator always "selects" pre-out off when you re-open those settings, because that doesn't control the actual state of the pre-out when the amplifier is running - that's controlled by the Start-up mode under General Settings, and subsequently by the remote button you've assigned.

As far as the filter order is concerned: I'm not sure whether there are any one-size-fits-all rules there, rather it depends on the equipment and room. For what it's worth, I am using a fourth-order (24 dB/octave) filter on the mains and I run the sub full-range with an external box (DSPeaker AntiMode Dual-Core) doing some room correction.

One final point that caught me out: after changing the sub configuration, if you can't hear anything at all coming out of the sub (e.g. with your ear right next to it) then it might help to power cycle the Devialet. For some reason mine doesn't always enable the sub immediately after loading a new configuration. Having done that once, the configuration should "stick" properly. I never really got to the bottom of what was happening there, and it may have been sorted out in later firmware (I'm still running 7.0.3).

Ian
Warwickshire, UK
Edit; after typing the text below I see thumb5/Ian has also replied. Our posts crossed. Smile

You can configure for each separate input if the pre-out/sub is enabled by default or not. There's a checkbox for it in the settings for each input. In the speaker settings (the screenshots you show) selecting pre-out on and off is just for configuring the parameters for both. You can override the default setting using the remote.

I agree with Thumb5, you'd normally configure your speakers for full range when the pre-out is off (which corresponds to the 2.0 setting you mentioned) and apply the crossover settings for when the pre-out is on. In your current settings you're always filtering away bass <80Hz wheter your sub/pre-out is enabled or not.

It is indeed hard, I'd even say impossible, to advise you the best crossover settings. These should be set depending on your sub (and it's own corresponding settings), speakers, room and listening position. Ideally with the help of measurements. It's best to find someone experienced in this matter to help you locally (in your room) if you don't want to go through the steep learning curve. Perhaps the dealer who you bought the sub from can help.

Something else that's important, also dictated by your hardware, is the input sensitivity setting for your subwoofer. It's called 'relative level' in the configurator and is currently set to 2Vrms in your screenshot. Ask your subwoofer manufacturer and/or check the manual for the best setting here. This influences the power output of your sub, although one could compensate for this somewhat using the volume control of an active subwoofer.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands