Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just bought a d 200 - a few more questions
(25-Feb-2016, 07:43)Duomike Wrote: Understand the devialet is using a digital volume control. I'm concerned that i will loose resolution at low volumes especially since it will be driving very efficient avantgarde omega duos. Will it help to restrict the power output to 30 watts so that d 200 will use less digital attentuation? Maybe someone hear hooked the devialet to very efficient horns and has some experience? Worst case i will put in some power resistors into my duos to reduce efficiency.

Hi Duomike

Can't help with the first bit, but I searched quite a bit to find info on the 2nd. My Fact 8's are pretty sensitive, so since I also sit close, without Room Correction I use a volume of say -45 for evening listening. Many people here have volumes of -20,-10, or zero and seem to love the sound, so I thought the same as you. Not many people here seem to reduce the power though from what I could find.

I've tried lowering the power (only down to 100) but never really detected a change in sound, and the volume on the display didn't seem to change that much either for the same perceived level. This was firmware 7.1.

That said, I've a since discovered it sounds a lot better when pushed, and since I started using Room Correction, I actually find it sounds better even when no correction is applied, but the signal is still attenuated by -6 to -8db that Dirac applied, thus needing more volume on the Dev for the same output. To my ears it sounds better like this, but I'm still in experimental phase. SO I'm starting to wonder the same thing, whether people listening with their Devialet's doing much more attenuation are missing out somehow, and maybe the Devialets attenuation at low volumes is somehow making for a poorer experience. This could all be due to other factors of course, but I'll keep playing around. Please do report your findings….

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just bought a d 200 - a few more questions - by Hifi_swlon - 25-Feb-2016, 09:43