Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is digital audio so complicated? Where did it all go wrong?
@Hifi_swlon,

Of course you are right. What I meant was that IMO "meta discussions" like this one will rarely provide satisfying answers. There's simply no ready answer that answers it all. These discussions generally also attract people with opinions but no experience clouding the discussion and creating confusion.

It is indeed a complex one. Personally I'd rather focus on a specific subject and read, read, read about it. Did I already mention reading about it? Smile Then, before advancing or changing to a different subject, if there's still questions left I'd ask them to peers who are experienced on the subject. Of course there's the own experimentation in between. It's time consuming hard work, well kind of, especially if you don't enjoy it. In the beginning it can clearly be overwhelming since there's so many different, subjective opinions and experiences and "things to do'/possibilities. At the same time there's little hard and solid truths. So yes, there's a steep learning curve and one can avoid that by simply buying a turn key solution.

Like I said I have accepted that I won't always understand what's going on exactly or get the answers I'm seeking. I'm happy though that people are sharing the results of their experimentations. There's things I would have never tried several years back and still don't always make any real sense but after trying I was convinced "it did work" or hold truth in practice. We'll get there, manufacturers/designers of commerical hardware/solutions are also reading these forums. In a few years many of the things 'those tweakers' do today will have become broad and commonly accepted engineering principles or at least inspired those changes.

@Bartype, A PC with similar specs and the right software configuration, using USB should IME clearly outperform AIR. The devil is in the details and with USB a lot comes down to the power supply and avoiding ground loops. Audiophile Optimizer is a "must have" on W2012. I'm already off topic so will keep my comments limited to this but it seems there's still work to be done in your situation. Smile Whether you want to do that is up to you of course.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why is digital audio so complicated? Where did it all go wrong? - by Antoine - 26-Feb-2016, 15:16