Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is digital audio so complicated? Where did it all go wrong?
(29-Feb-2016, 15:56)f1eng Wrote: ...
The Nyquist–Shannon sampling theorem is not a theory, it is mathematically proved.

There are plenty of reasons why digital audio may not be to somebodies liking and there are plenty of ways in which it can be implemented imperfectly, but what you write is completely imagined gobbledygook. 

I am not religious either nor do I believe that homeopathy or acupuncture are anything other than placebos. Blind faith and belief in the implausible is not my thing, so excuse my being blunt.

Some of this is my opinion, some my experience of 50 years recording and some is straightforward mathematics (I concede that very few people have any mathematical aptitude though)

And don't think I have not listened, I am very sceptical and have always believed both that if theory and practice differ that the theory is incomplete and that if 2 things measure the same but sound different the wrong thing is being measured. I always check everything from first principles myself and have done many listening evaluations over the last 45 years.

Never said that the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem isn't right  Huh . And in case you got me wrong, I don't own a turntable, I'm in the digital  Wink  .

So you mean there is no problem with time-inconsistency in the digital audio signal chain and the DAC putting the audio signal perfectly together every time? I didn't refer to anything else than time-inconsistency.
Why then does re-clocking, or a better external clock while recording, improve the digital sound? This is not blind faith and no placebo. We're not talking about digital measuring or pure digital information transport on computers/printers etc. That's a complete different thing (not time critical).

And for comparing a Chord Hugo to a Sony DAS-702ES and not hearing that much of a difference? You compared them to the difference of two phono-cartridges? That is apples and pears! One (digital) distinguishes in time-phase pattern, jitter etc., the other (analog) in distortion and frequencies etc. Totally different and not comparable.

I think we are talking on different level of listening and values.

It's a pitty we all live so far apart. I would much appreciate to sneak into Antoine's home and listen to his audio and I would say it could help you, f1eng, to new placebo-audio-horizons to accompany me Big Grin  .

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why is digital audio so complicated? Where did it all go wrong? - by yabaVR - 01-Mar-2016, 14:39