Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
120 vs. low sensitivity speakers
Hello Finleyville,

I also have D120, and like you, it was a stretch of the finances that required about 6 months of debate (internal and on the domestic front) before I could make the purchase. So I get you there.

Previously I had entry level Naim equipment, a Nait 3, then a UnitiQute. I was also using ProAc Tablets and Opera Operetta speakers; both small, relatively current-absorbing speakers. I think, but I don't know for certain, is that they were both about 86 db sensitive.

I will say that the D120 drives the smaller speakers in a way that is completely different to the Naim equipments. I understand that I was dealing with 30 watts of Naim power vs about 90 for the D120 (into 8 ohms), but the bass capability of the Devialet is quite outstanding. Control, clarity and detail are standout strengths of even the D120. No doubt 'more Devialet' will be better, but the bass performance is the first aspect of the sound that people comment on when I play music for them at home.

I'd also add that, as a bass player, I find the tone and subtleties of the bass extremely pleasing and 'real'. That is as important as the slam-factor, IMHO.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
RE: 120 vs. low sensitivity speakers - by Damon - 02-Mar-2016, 19:59
RE: 120 vs. low sensitivity speakers - by Axel - 03-Mar-2016, 04:36