Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 800 in Posi+ive feedback
Robert S. Youman (the reviewer) also used the Synergistic Research Atmosphere Devialet-Spec. power cables and briefly commented about them (a positive review but not detailed comparisons).

He mentioned this forum in the review, so might even identify himself as a member.

Overall it seems like a well-balanced and informative review. It was certainly great to read a review of the D800, which is under-reviewed. I was interested in his comparison of the D800 sound to Pass Labs Xs, D'agostina Momentum, and (with his D400 review) Rowland. More to the point for us it was nice to have another evaluation of the difference between the D400 and D800 (better in every way but not a massive difference). I wish reviewers of dual-Devialet would compare them to singles given the ease of that configuration change. The D250 is even more rarely reviewed than the D800. However his Magico Q7 speakers probably need the additional power more than most so wouldn't be the best place for that comparison.

I found it interesting that he found imaging isn't state-of-the-art but detail is, since I find them closely related. Maybe it is a case of hearing what's there vs. where it is? I also wasn't clear what equipment he found to have the best imaging.

His section about switched-mode power supplies seemed weird to me, but I guess that's still a controversial topic in this hobby. It seemed reductionist, like evaluating DACs by the chip used, but I did see the point of noting that a number of the best amps now use switched-mode supplies given that some audiophiles are still stuck to linear power supplies.

Messages In This Thread
Devialet 800 in Posi+ive feedback - by David - 03-Mar-2016, 10:01
RE: Devialet 800 in Posi+ive feedback - by deviousalet - 03-Mar-2016, 15:59