Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound like a 2:1 not Full Range speakers...IMO
Hi Guys,
I'm not here to start a Flame war, just want to give my personal impressions of the Phantoms as a Stereo / HiFi / Music Enthusiast.

I would not call myself a Audiophile as I do think that they are more interested in fiddling with equipment than actually listening to what in my world it's all about...Listening to Music*
After I got my two silver Phantoms burned-in I have noticed that I find the sound coming out from them is quite similar to a 2:1 system ( Bookshelf + Sub)
And yes they Phantoms can produce massive amount of Bass, but not the bass I would expect from a large Full range speaker. Devialet have obviously focused on making an WOW factor to the ones that first listening to them as the Sub-bass sound is very obvious. What I miss is the the Melodic bass ( Mid-bass 80hz - 320hz )as well as the physical experience of i.e the Bass Kick drum. When producing/ mixing music you are targeting your sound towards a specific sound-stage. Especially music that should make you feel a groove you need to "put a spotlight" on things that makes the beat, both for the ears but also a physical experience.
IMO I would say that the Phantoms are GREAT for Home Theater use but not as much as a PURE music system, but it all comes down to what kind of music we listen to I myself is pretty groove oriented but that does not mean I don't want a pretty balances sound. It took me some hours of listening until I could pin-point to what the Phantoms DID NOT, as they do a lot of good things

I've put together a Spotify  "What is lacking" playlist that you can listen to.
https://open.spotify.com/user/mcchicken/...6vWcLq9ztt

- Samson For President, the Kick-drum and it's companion the bass should get you into the laid-back groove, but the drums sounds like they are made out of plastic.
- James Blake, when the Sub-bass sound comes in his voice does not sound normal anymore.
- Ronny Jordan ( 1993), here the Bass line IS the song and it is not presented as the main part
- Tom Mish, here there should be a clearly pumping bass and that is lacking
- Whilk & Misky, here they have produced a bass and beat sound that is like an "implosion" so instead of hitting your should feel "sucked-into" the groove.
- Nao, there is no "body "
- Benji Hughes, here the drums really sound like they're made out of plastic.
- Ibeyi, this is a VERY physical song with the massive deep hit, but it's lacking.

As mentioning , I'm not trying to start a Flame war or badmouth the Phantoms which are GREAT speakers, but for me personally ( my kind of music) they are better suited towards a Home Theater set-up then music only.
I have the Phantoms set-up on book-shelf stands , or just next to them a very solid 3 meter ( 10ft) long oak table

*Anyway, in my youth I used to professionally work as a sound engineer both in Studios and at Live gigs...and ok you need to understand what button to press but more so you need to have  "good ears" and know what different instrument should sound like. Secondly you do if the sound is not what to expect you will never be able to find solutions on what is wrong. The hardest part is always to find out what sounds that are missing, sounds that are to loud is quite easy

Would love to hear your objective opinion
Devialet Silver Phantoms pair + Dialog, will be connected through DSPeaker 2.0 ( DSP / Room-Correction) and hopped-up G-sonos. ( thinking of ROON) "Retiring" Goldmund / JOB225 Amp, Antony Gallo Reference 3.5. Keeping Active Bang & Olufsen Beolabs in different rooms connected to Sonos.

Messages In This Thread
Sound like a 2:1 not Full Range speakers...IMO - by McChicken - 10-Mar-2016, 12:04