Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
microRendu - Sound Quality observations and comparisons
(15-Jun-2016, 19:51)Celts88 Wrote:
(22-May-2016, 20:53)Antoine Wrote: I haven't compared to solutions like those of Auralic, Aurender, Melco etc. as I don't like the closed platforms these run and the prices they charge but this is my list with scores. Please, consider the scores HIGHLY subjective and indicative, they're not absolutes!!

500 Sonore microRendu (Curious USB 0.2m) with Mutec MC-3+ USB (AES/EBU)
400 DIY music server (Curious USB 0.8m) with Mutec MC-3+ USB (AES/EBU)

Genuine question.

Why would I buy a Sonore microRendu / Curious USB 0.2m / Mutec MC-3+ USB when I could buy an Antipodes DS Server with internal 2Tb HDD, CD Ripper, and choice of either USB or AES output for a similar price (well, over here in Australia it would be)?

I can have a one box solution with the Antipodes DS with internal HDD (SSD is too much for me at present) instead of microRendu and Mutec

Antipodes DS

Obviously Antoine can speak for himself, but I think I can answer this one.  Antoine mentioned in his post that he does not like the closed platforms of music servers.  His choice, but I have to say I feel a similar way.  I like having a PC in my music chain, just for the shear versatility and flexibility this offers.

I also know some folk who would be horrified by having a CD drive corrupting their lovely streamer.  (Although I don't really understand this one)  I do know one Antipodes owner here in the UK.  He loves the 'all in one' concept, and is very happy with sound quality.  So essentially, it's up to you!  If you don't like having a PC or similar in the chain, the microRendu is a very bad idea.  If you don't like 'closed platforms' the Antipodes is a bad idea.  Form me, I would love to hear an Antipodes, they have good reviews and some are AES/EBU equipped, which I know works well on the Devialet.  However, arranging a microRendu vs Antipodes comparison in the UK would be difficult to achieve, we have no dealers or distributors.  I recall now that I did send an email to my trusted UK dealer re the possibility of getting hold of an Antipodes for audition, however, they never answered that one, things moved on and now I'm waiting for my microRendu to arrive!  I guess the really big question is how does an Antipodes compare to a microRendu with respect to sound quality.  I suspect that nobody has tried this as a back to back test, and even if they had, a lot depends on personal preference, system matching and so on.  So that one is anyones guess!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: microRendu - Sound Quality observations and comparisons - by Confused - 16-Jun-2016, 08:32