Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
microRendu - Sound Quality observations and comparisons
(10-Jul-2016, 12:13)Confused Wrote: One question to those running the microRendu > Mutec > Devialet, any thoughts as to if the Mutec has a positive influence on bass definition / accuracy?

I believe it improves all aspects of music reproduction. Of course you know, but I'd like to point it out anyway: you're not just evaluating the mR but also the USB input of the Devialet.

Now I'm quite sure the Devialet USB interface is holding back anything connected to it, including the mR. Using the AES/EBU input together with Mutec MC-3+ USB of my Devialet has shown a significant improvement even though in theory it would seem is the less preferred path because of the additional conversion to S/PDIF. However I don't know what Devialet does internally with the output of the XMOS USB transceiver and if a I2S output is used or S/PDIF through that ASRC on the DUET card. In any way I'm sure the Mutec uses better clocks in that process so it could just be that the resulting S/PDIF stream is actually better directly into the AES/EBU input and from there takes a shorter path into the FPGA and DAC sections of the Devialet.

Another theory is that the processing of the USB signal itself, which causes noise and dirties the ground planes, can be better done in a device outside/in full isolation of the DAC. This is also accomplished by using the Mutec. And even it itself also fully isolates the USB input through galvanic isolation. The Devialet does not have galvanic isolation of the USB input.

I do have to confess I have never bothered to listen to the mR directly connected to the Devialet USB input and it's likely I never will. It's been ruled out earlier in the game for me and it's disabled as an input now.

How many hours of playback do you have on it BTW? Many, including the designer, recommend letting it play for at least two days straight (around 50H) before critically evaluating it's performance. Whatever way one thinks about break/burn-in it won't hurt. Smile

Personally I don't know yet if or how much a better PSU will improve SQ as my PH PSU hasn't been delivered yet. Plus I might never be able to clearly tell since in my case the Mutec is in between the mR and the D. I probably will power the Mutec with it as well. I do know that the mR gave me a significant improvement over the DIY music server I used -despite- the Mutec being there also so I will surely be not surprised if the PH PSU improves things further.

PS: I'm also using ethernet to fiber optic converters. Still have to try once without but haven't 'bothered' yet. Romaz you linked to, for example, has tried as well and couldn't discern a clear difference but I do know others did. Much of course also depends on the DAC (e.g. it's ability to reject jitter) and I believe his, the Chord Dave, to be a truly SOTA DAC, way better than our D's.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands

Messages In This Thread
RE: microRendu - Sound Quality observations and comparisons - by Antoine - 10-Jul-2016, 14:01