Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get Home Cinema right with Phantom
First evening trying phantom as home cinema speakers. Simple setup composed of a Panasonic viera plasma TV 60" streaming Netflix (wireless connection). TV optical out into one the 2 phantoms silver (software 1.7.1). Dialogue 2 floors away connected to apple router. Phantoms' network connection is PCM. Room 7m x 4m, TV/Phantoms placed on the long side, 3m apart and 3m from listening position (10° toe-in). 
The good: latency has almost disappeared vs last time I tried a couple of months ago. Very clear soundstage. Clear, well defined voices. Good bass. 
The question: to get decent volume I am running the Phantoms @95 volume level! Huh 
With music 95 would make the house rattle, why is it that the sound level is so low? Am I doing anything wrong?
Any other advice to improve the sound quality of this setup?
Just a guess, but is there a setting in the TVs menu to adjust the sound output?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Thanks. Looked for it but did not find anything. My understanding is that optical out (PCM) does not feature any volume setting, being just a digital signal. Am I getting this wrong?
You certainly have something in the chain that does digital attenuation in the chain. For Phantoms, a volume setup to 70 corresponds to zero dB attenuation, meaning that at 0 dBFS you reach 99 dBA for the white and 105 dBA for the silver.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Maybe you have to put the optical from the TV into the Dialog and not into one of the Phantoms.
Not ideal obviously if your Dialog is 2 rooms away though. I only have 1 Phantom so I don't have a Dialog and i have no issues with volume from my TV which also has no volume control when using optical out.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
(29-May-2016, 00:03)GTX Wrote: First evening trying phantom as home cinema speakers. Simple setup composed of a Panasonic viera plasma TV 60" streaming Netflix (wireless connection). TV optical out into one the 2 phantoms silver (software 1.7.1). Dialogue 2 floors away connected to apple router. Phantoms' network connection is PCM. Room 7m x 4m, TV/Phantoms placed on the long side, 3m apart and 3m from listening position (10° toe-in). 
The good: latency has almost disappeared vs last time I tried a couple of months ago. Very clear soundstage. Clear, well defined voices. Good bass. 
The question: to get decent volume I am running the Phantoms @95 volume level! Huh 
With music 95 would make the house rattle, why is it that the sound level is so low? Am I doing anything wrong?
Any other advice to improve the sound quality of this setup?

Check your Panasonic manual for control of the ARC (audio return channel) and the role of the HDMI controls. There is a lot of cross reference discussions on the AV chats on this topic.
Levinson 33 amps, Wilson Grand Slamm S3's, Levinson 32 ref pre and ad/da, Basis Ovation and Rega 40 with JSpall custom tone arms, Lyra, Ortofon & Grado cartridges, Marantz AV 8801, PSAudio phono pre, Devialet Dialog w  5 Gold Phantoms, Wilson powered subwoofer, Watch center, Wilson surrounds, Kaleidescape Movie server, Crestron AV controller and switch, 120 MBS docsis3 modem, 20 MBS xdsl modem, Peplink balance 20 router, Ruckus 802.11ac Wave 2 WAPS plus multi Pakedge WAPs, 48 port POE gigabit switch, NetGear 8TB NAS, Amazon Fire,ROKU and Apple TV gen 4, 12 core Mac Pro, Macbook Air Retina, 65" and 50" Runco TV's. Blue sound node 2, OPPO BDP105D, DSpeaker AntiMode 2.0, Octava HDMI/Optical switch, cabling Nordost for analog, Cardas and wireworld for digital/optical.
GTX check if your TV has a setting like 'Boost volume on downsample'. When a 5.1 signal is down
mixed to stereo the volume comes out lower. Most apps (like Plex for example) will have a setting to raise the volume to handle that.
I have exactly the same setup with a Samsung TV and it works fine. I agree with the statements above you have digital attenuation somewhere in your chain prior to Phantom.