Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparison between Wilson Benesch Vector / Sonus Faber Olympica II / Kef Reference 3
Back from the listening session and it was interesting for sure! I was listening together with a friend there because 2 ears and minds is two times open :-)

It wasn't a very long session, 3 hours, more or less one hour per speaker.

To my ears (and mostly also of my friends) the Kef reference 3 plays the various pieces of all kinds of music (very) well, exept for one dance track from Agoria (Souless Dreamer). The Kef somehow couldn't handle it, and left it with one low bass tone, not very pleasant to listen to. The Kef sounded best of all three with Cantate Domino from Oscars Motettkor. The big organ, played in a real cathedral just profits from the relatively big body of the Kef compared to the other two contenders. The Choir in the track however sounds almost equaly very good on all three.

The second session was with the Wilson Benesch Vector. It was a litle more spacious even then the Kef, but didn't excel on every level over the Kef. Jazz, such as Inch Worm from Patricia Barbers really stunning recorded album Cafe Blue sounds delightfull. Also Tundra from Amber Rubarth sounded best of all on the WB. But other tracks, mostly electronic and dance not so, and with a track like Anthrazit from Aes Dana it was even an absolute no go. It just couldn't do the trick with this otherwise great intelligent ambient... So despite the fact the WB firslty seemed a very interesting contender, it looks like it won't be the one to go for because electronic for me is a big portion of musical fun...

Then as third we listen the Sonus Faber Olympica II. I wasn't sure what to expect really, up until this day i didn't hear them that often. But it seems that will change now. The SF really did everything very very nice and pleasant to listen to. Also 'Do you love me' from Nick Cave, an not that well recorded track which sounds thin and harsh on my Spendors was very pleasant to listen to. And this wasn't coming at the cost of detail: good recorded tracks sounds awfully good!

After this evening i think i understand why so much Devialet owners choose Sonus Faber. It sounds like a match made in heaven :-) I have to say, i didn't use SAM with any of the three contenders, so i am unsure if that posibly would have change something.

Next step is planning a coming over to my home party for the SF's. If possible i would like to combine this with another visitor, the B&W 804D3.
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components

Messages In This Thread
RE: Comparison between Wilson Benesch Vector / Sonus Faber Olympica II / Kef Reference 3 - by Bartype - 02-Jun-2016, 20:51