Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shunyata Research
(08-Jul-2017, 09:54)zdenes Wrote:
(07-Jul-2017, 17:06)Tremayne Wrote: Shunyata Alpha SPDIF digital cable which replaced the DHLabs Silver Sonic D110 hybrid Devialet chain cable in my 1000Pro.

I have experimented a lot with chaining the two Devialets. I found, and it seems that most people here also, that AES/EBU input sounds better when chaining. At the same time spdif coaxial was clearly superior to AES/EBU as far as the cable goes - I tried Oyaide 5N silver digital cables with are nearly identical parameters, except for the impedance of course. I used identical AES-RCA and RCA-AES adapter at the relevant ends. 

So I ended up using the Oyaide spdif with a converter at the companion end but I have already bought an AES/EBU plug and planning to replace the RCA at that end. I wouldn't want to DIY plugs on such an expensive cable as the Shunyata so my question is, do you compromise using the RCA-RCA connection or do you use an adapter which is another compromise?

Zoltan
There's no compromise necessary Zoltan. Shunyata are working on an RCA to AES/EBU digital cable especially for use with Devialet. You can audition both and use the one that you prefer.
Colin

Vivid Audio Giya G2s, Devialet 1000 Pro, Silenzio silent PC, Marantz UD 7007.
Shunyata Denali, Alpha HC PCs (x3), Sigma Digital PC, Venom USB.
Quadraspire X Reference rack.

North East England
(08-Jul-2017, 12:27)Tremayne Wrote:
(08-Jul-2017, 09:54)zdenes Wrote:
(07-Jul-2017, 17:06)Tremayne Wrote: Shunyata Alpha SPDIF digital cable which replaced the DHLabs Silver Sonic D110 hybrid Devialet chain cable in my 1000Pro.

I have experimented a lot with chaining the two Devialets. I found, and it seems that most people here also, that AES/EBU input sounds better when chaining. At the same time spdif coaxial was clearly superior to AES/EBU as far as the cable goes - I tried Oyaide 5N silver digital cables with are nearly identical parameters, except for the impedance of course. I used identical AES-RCA and RCA-AES adapter at the relevant ends. 

So I ended up using the Oyaide spdif with a converter at the companion end but I have already bought an AES/EBU plug and planning to replace the RCA at that end. I wouldn't want to DIY plugs on such an expensive cable as the Shunyata so my question is, do you compromise using the RCA-RCA connection or do you use an adapter which is another compromise?

Zoltan
There's no compromise necessary Zoltan. Shunyata are working on an RCA to AES/EBU digital cable especially for use with Devialet. You can audition both and use the one that you prefer.

This is excellent news! Any idea when it will be available?

Zoltan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Win10 + HQPlayer - network - SOtM-SMS-200ultra - Mutec MC-3 USB+  Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090, cables: Acrolink, Acoustic Revive, Curious USB, Vovox textura IC digital LAN. 'tweeks': Shakti Stones and Halograph, Acoustic Revive RR-777, Zcable Sleeves, fo.Q vibration control, (for movies: Avielo by Projection Design, OPPO-UDP203)
(08-Jul-2017, 13:22)zdenes Wrote:
(08-Jul-2017, 12:27)Tremayne Wrote:
(08-Jul-2017, 09:54)zdenes Wrote: I have experimented a lot with chaining the two Devialets. I found, and it seems that most people here also, that AES/EBU input sounds better when chaining. At the same time spdif coaxial was clearly superior to AES/EBU as far as the cable goes - I tried Oyaide 5N silver digital cables with are nearly identical parameters, except for the impedance of course. I used identical AES-RCA and RCA-AES adapter at the relevant ends. 

Zoltan

This is excellent news! Any idea when it will be available?

Zoltan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Zoltan,

I'll be getting a SDC prototype in a week or so which I will send to Tremayne so that he can make a direct comparison and report back his findings. 

Confused is very kindly lending me his Audioprana hybrid cable which will he helpful in evaluating the new Shunyata "Devialet" cable (SDC).

Up until now the Transparent Ref XL has been generally acknowledged by many on various fora (and by reviewers) as one of the best SPDIF (and AES for that matter) available. It's certainly never failed to impress me and both AES and SPDIF variants have been a core part of my setup for many years. Rufus also owned an Ref XL SPDIF for a while and he also got to compare it to quite a few others.

Therefore for me an interesting test will be Audioprana v Ref XL v Alpha SPDIF v SDC - as a link between the dual monos.

The prototype that Tremayne has has apparently already been improved on - this was confirmed to me last night! 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

O d'A no.63, Absolare Integrated Signature, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-six, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Transparent Ref XL digital cables, Transparent XL Gen 5 speaker cables, Ansuz Diamond Darkz, Shunyata mains cable prototypes, Shunyata Denali D6000/S, Shunyata Venom RCA, Audioquest Diamond Ethernet, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, AQVOX Audiophile High-End Network Switch, sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD & MCRU LPS
UK
Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for the details. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the test results.

It would be really good to know what the link cable actually does. Does it synchronise the two units somehow or merely transfers digital data to the right channel? The latter would be really less than ideal as the two channels will never sound the same. But Devialet says that AES can only be used as an input, so if that is the chaining link, how is data transfer bidirectional? Can anybody shed some light on this?

Zoltan
Win10 + HQPlayer - network - SOtM-SMS-200ultra - Mutec MC-3 USB+  Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090, cables: Acrolink, Acoustic Revive, Curious USB, Vovox textura IC digital LAN. 'tweeks': Shakti Stones and Halograph, Acoustic Revive RR-777, Zcable Sleeves, fo.Q vibration control, (for movies: Avielo by Projection Design, OPPO-UDP203)
(08-Jul-2017, 21:58)zdenes Wrote: Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for the details. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the test results.

It would be really good to know what the link cable actually does. Does it synchronise the two units somehow or merely transfers digital data to the right channel? The latter would be really less than ideal as the two channels will never sound the same. But Devialet says that AES can only be used as an input, so if that is the chaining link, how is data transfer bidirectional? Can anybody shed some light on this?

Zoltan

I've often wondered about this. As Zoltan says, if the link is unidirectional, using a top quality cable will only improve the sound in the right hand channel.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS running JRiver, Mutec MC-3+USB, Devialet 440 Pro, Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable, Rupert Neve Designs headphone amp., Proac Response D20R, Van Den Hul The First Ultimate interconnects, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(08-Jul-2017, 21:58)zdenes Wrote: Hi Guillaume,

Zoltan

This has been discussed at length in the past but unfortunately without any clear conclusion.  See link to thread below, 37 pages of posts, the above question does arise, but no clear technical answers.  Although post #324 might hint at something.  Shy

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=151
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - microRendu - Mutec MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(08-Jul-2017, 17:40)GuillaumeB Wrote: Confused is very kindly lending me his Audioprana hybrid cable which will he helpful in evaluating the new Shunyata "Devialet" cable (SDC).

Up until now the Transparent Ref XL has been generally acknowledged by many on various fora (and by reviewers) as one of the best SPDIF (and AES for that matter) available. It's certainly never failed to impress me and both AES and SPDIF variants have been a core part of my setup for many years. Rufus also owned an Ref XL SPDIF for a while and he also got to compare it to quite a few others.

Therefore for me an interesting test will be Audioprana v Ref XL v Alpha SPDIF v SDC - as a link between the dual monos.

The prototype that Tremayne has has apparently already been improved on - this was confirmed to me last night! 

Guillaume

I had a bit of free time this morning, which is significant as I am not expecting to have too much free time in the very near future!  So I have taken the hit now, my beloved Audioprana hybrid cable has been unceremoniously removed from my system and shoved into a little box ready to be sent off to Guillaume. Sad

Although it is not all bad.  I do have the 'official Devialet' Audioquest Carbon directional RCA to RCA cable that comes with the 1000 Pro.  This cable has remained sad, unloved and unused in a box since I received the Pro.  This is being used with a Neutrik XLR to RCA adaptor, so I am not going away from the RCA to AES/EBU connection method.  Trying the 'new' cable now, I thought I could hear some strange distortion in the companion channel, which was disturbing.  On reducing the volume I realised it was some guy up the road using a strimmer.....    This stuff can drive you crazy sometimes.

Back on topic, I have always had a little hunch that the using the RCA to AES/EBU  chaining method is the key, maybe more than the actual cable itself.  Even then though, the Audioprana does have the little 75 to 110 transformer, does that make a difference?  So I think the Guilluame's planned trials with both his own Transparent Ref XL, the Audioprana and the new Shunyata prototype (also with transformer) could be very interesting and enlightening.  Good stuff!  Meanwhile, any listening I do for a while will be RCA to AES/EBU with no transformer.  Will I notice any change?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - microRendu - Mutec MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
True to his word, Guillaume sent me the Shunyata Devialet Chain (SDC) cable. It arrived when I was in hospital, so was waiting when I got home, but I was in no condition to go crawling behind the rack in order to change the config and install the cable.
Eventually, with help, I got it installed. Comparing it with the Shunyata Alpha SPDIF my first impression was of even greater texture depth and vocal presence. That impression hasn't changed 24hours later. Caelin Gabriel has produced another masterpiece, and has done so without introducing a transformer.
They are both a step or two above the DHLabs hybrid, but, at their price point, so they should be. Their biggest advantage being the very low (absent?) noise floor.
Using either of the Shunyatas, the volume can be turned way past where it is deemed too loud with the DHLabs. It can also be enjoyed at much lower volumes.
The SDC is now on its way back to Guillaume, I will be interested in his comparisons between the SDC, his Transparent Ref XL and the Audioprana.

Yesterday, 10:00" />   
Colin

Vivid Audio Giya G2s, Devialet 1000 Pro, Silenzio silent PC, Marantz UD 7007.
Shunyata Denali, Alpha HC PCs (x3), Sigma Digital PC, Venom USB.
Quadraspire X Reference rack.

North East England
very interested to hear at what price point the hybrid cable will sell for. Also waiting for the introduction of the Digital Alpha cables in continental Europe.
Devialet 400 - Linn Akurate DS/1 - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - MIT Matrix 28s - AudioQuest Diamond - Crystal Cable Reference Digital - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz Sublime