Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D800 upgrade, is it worth it? Alternatives?
I'd agree with Frank - we both updated dual D-Premiers to 800s and recently 800s to OdAs.

The latter was more expensive as it involved a part exchange whereas the former was cheaper as it was a Devialet offering, as is now the case with 800 to 1000 Pro.

In terms of sound quality improvement, my sense is that the more recent change is more profound. Though I guess anything that gets closer to one's perception of perfection is better than what went before. I'm assuming here that where we have already reached with the OdA will change little when the 1000 Pro is realised.

The all-in-one design is a big factor for me - I guess the two box Devialet takes up less than one tenth of the volume of, say, a four box Audio Research equivalent: phono, dac, pre, power. And the latter is at least as expensive and as much as four times as expensive.

The non-obsolescence is also a big factor as is the programmable flexibility. Plus SAM. Plus, hopefully for all, AIR soon.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England

Messages In This Thread
RE: D800 upgrade, is it worth it? Alternatives? - by IanG-UK - 17-Jul-2016, 17:16