Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Goodbye to Devialet - after upgrade program
I'm currently auditioning a Gryphon Diablo 300 at home with the DAC and RIIA modules. The Diablo 300 cost (without the modules) almost exactly as much as the D440 Pro.

All I can say so far is that the Gryphon Diablo 300 in many ways is a vastly superior amplifier compared to the D400. Yes, it's very big, black, bulky and even hotter than the D400 and very far from a sleek, shiny silvery pizza box. And no, it slightly lacks the same top end separation, micro dynamics and that Devialet sonical sparkle. The D440 Pro however need to offer a VERY big step up in SQ from D400 for me to even consider a hardware upgrade to Expert Pro and not opt for the Diablo 300.

I knew my TAD's were a great pair of speakers but I recently discovered just how great they really are thanks to the Diablo 300. The bass is magical (SAM, eat your heart out!), acoustic instruments and voices are incredibly natural and there's an attack and timbre in the sound that lets you really feel the music you're playing.

What Devialet need to do is to come down from their high horses, show some humility towards customers and realize their products simply won't sell themselves using the "best in the world" slogan. Instead it is time to acknowledge that there's some real competition out there, especially in the 15 000 to 20 000 EUR amplifier segment.

The latest step with the upgrade pricing has put the D400/D440 Pro amplifier smack bang in this particular segment of the amplifier market (initial cost + hardware upgrade cost). This has made me (and I'm guessing several other ex. loyal and longtime owners) look into alternatives to an upgrade and to Devialet as a brand.

Offering customers the chance of future upgrades is very much a double edged sword, especially so if not handled correctly by the manufacturer in terms of communication, pricing, availability etc., i.e. just the sort of things Devialet has mismanaged repeatedly.

I used to think I had a true top-of-the-line product in my D400 and for that I was immensely proud, so much so I had a hard time believing critics of the Devialet sound. The latest developments has put a stop to that.
Devialet Expert 1000 Pro CI / Magico A1 / ROON Nucleus w Farad Super 3 / Innuos Phoenix NET / Torus RM 16 / Acrolink Mexcel 7N-S 9000
Wireworld digital and power cables / Harmonix tuning feet / SMT acoustic 
treatment
- SWEDEN -

Messages In This Thread
RE: Goodbye to Devialet - after upgrade program - by MightyMart - 29-Aug-2016, 16:58