Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Goodbye to Devialet - after upgrade program
(17-Oct-2016, 17:31)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(17-Oct-2016, 15:29)Confused Wrote: The Expert has the ‘EVO platform’, the D-Premier does not.  It is the EVO platform that allows ‘constant improvement via free, regular updates, for ever improved features and performance.’  The point here being is that the EVO platform exists on the Expert range and continues on the Pro, it is logical therefore to conclude that new features offered for the Pro will also work on the Expert, streamer board excepted.

Great post from Confused as usual. (Sorry, no bonus points, you've got far too many already Wink)

I wonder to what extent EVO will be the basis of future developments, after they add the 'Devialet OS'?  I got the impression it was going to run on the streamer board, but perhaps the term 'streamer board' is just convenient, and could really become the central processing hub on the Pro range. To my mind, adding 'an OS' could potentially signify a change in direction of features being added there rather than through EVO.  But I don't understand D hardware enough - maybe the DSP stuff always comes under the EVO banner, and connections to the outside world come under the 'OS' banner?

Right now my hunch is this pro range may be a bigger design change than previously, and so supporting the old line with new features will become more difficult. Also there's the question of which platform the firmware gets optimised for - will each range get equal attention or is there a chance the Pro's will take priority? I.e. Make it sound great on the Pros and then use the same code/algorithms on the older generation, which may or may not sound as good.

You could well be right regarding Devialet OS, time will tell.  For what it's worth, my hunch is that the new 'streamer board' will be a bit rubbish, and for many the best option for both functionality and sound quality will be to plug something else into your Devialet, like an mR, Aurender, Melco, or dare I say it, simply stick with AIR.  I actually suspect that I will not even bother to fit the streamer board into my Pro as it will not offer anything I need.  I might be wrong, again time will tell .......
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: Goodbye to Devialet - after upgrade program - by Confused - 17-Oct-2016, 17:38