Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Goodbye to Devialet - after upgrade program
EVO is nothing but a marketing term which may or may not have been around in the time of the D-Premier (can't remember). The V5 hardware platform didn't change much besides the new DUET (which I believe means Devialet USB, Ethernet, Toslink) card and with it came more DSP processing power. It's that that extra capacity made SAM, RAM etc. possible.

The new OS card will probably be a drop in replacement for the current DUET card and/or AIR WiFi card. We already learned that the PSU changed to support PLC (powerline communications like in Phantom/Dialog). One reason (except for the obvious one that Devialet want everyone to upgrade) for no backwards compatibility with this streaming card is the lack of PLC suppory but I can't really see why it wouldn't work without PLC or could be made to do so. Again I really don't believe there is a real reason except Devialet not wanting us to install the new card in the old line.

I don't believe the basic workings of the amp are changing much with the new OS/streamer board. So the new card will run in parallel with the current controller subsystems which control the functions other than streaming like the PSU. aDH, the D-amp etc. It's likely the OS card it is nothing but an upgraded/more powerful system on module (SoM) now having the capacity and capabilities to run some Linux distribution, probably the same they're using for Phantom/Dialog. I think it's logical to assume Devialet would want to manage only one such distribution supporting both (and any future) platforms.

If we're lucky Devialet will also upgrade some of the other components currently on the DUET card like the XMOS USB solution and/or it's isolation from the rest of the amp or the way it's output interfaces to the DAC subsystem. I don't believe there will be any additional in-/outputs since that would require a different holes in the copper plate holding the connectors.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands

Messages In This Thread
RE: Goodbye to Devialet - after upgrade program - by Antoine - 17-Oct-2016, 18:52