Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Goodbye to Devialet - after upgrade program
(17-Oct-2016, 20:33)Confused Wrote: ... Plus, if any new DSP type features emerge, such a room correction (a big if, I know), then this would sensibly run using EVO, not 'Devialet OS'.  I might be wrong, predicting what Devialet have in mind is a challenge, but this seems logical to me.

We're all guessing I know, but that's where I think I disagree. My hunch is the current hardware has the guts to do room correction DSP now (I'm sure I read they still have a whole DSP chip idle), but to get something like that working requires more than just the processing - it needs an interface for configuration and adjustment, otherwise it would be completely impractical to use (the torture of trying to do 'poor mans room correction' just fine tuning the tone controls via configurator and SD card updates being a prime example of a potentially powerful feature becoming bonkersly painful in the hands of Devialets current system).

My hunch is 'on the fly' tone settings will become possible, but you'll need acess to an OS enabled platform to do it. Same for room correction, you'll need the OS to manage your presets.  Same for any other features other brands are adding right now, they'll need an iOS app, or laptop interface to control. Of course the board won't actually be delivering the sound, but without it you'd need another lifetime (and shares in Sandisk) just to get the right settings on your SD card.

I could be completely wrong of course, but i sense any cool new features you'd really want will require the OS too.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Messages In This Thread
RE: Goodbye to Devialet - after upgrade program - by Hifi_swlon - 17-Oct-2016, 22:10