Poll: Planning to upgrade to Pro?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, am very likely to upgrade
23.63%
43 23.63%
No, not looking to upgrade
26.37%
48 26.37%
Waiting to get more information about SQ or other benefits
50.00%
91 50.00%
Total 182 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, who is planning to upgrade to a Pro?
(28-Oct-2016, 17:40)Damon Wrote: This week I looked into the upgrade costs more carefully. Having a D120, I understand that I get 'a good deal' in terms of total cash outlay for a D220 Pro; the original cost plus the upgrade is less than the price of a D220 P, which here in Canada is a penny or dollar under $14,000.00.

Paying for the upgrade, done through the Devialet website is 3,450 Euros. It does say it includes all taxes and duties. That will be about $5,200.00 CDN. The dealer price shows a cost close to $6,000.00.

I'm not quibbling with the cost or 'value' of the upgrade, but I wondering why I would make such an investment. By that I mean that I did not buy a D200 18 months ago, so why would I be considering it now? If there was no upgrade path, I certainly would not be considering a new Pro. If there were no new Pro line, I would continue happily with my D120.

I'm certainly interested in the improvements, and I read the posts from others who have the upgrade or who have listened at dealers. I think that I've been caught up in the idea of having the new and current item; an even better version of the amp that I am still crazy about.

I'm not a constant upgrader, and I don't play in the hi-fi hobby by always looking or searching for changes and improvements to my system. If I listened to music and found myself feeling that I wasn't getting what I wanted, then I would go out and snoop around for ways to improve the system. But in truth, I'm very happy with what I have.

I'm really just musing out loud her (in type), and trying to re-balance my own perspective on whether I will do the upgrade. Of course, If I didn't think that others would have some valuable thoughts and comments, I would not write here, so comments are very welcome.

Do any other D120 owners feel themselves in a similar quandary?
I am also not a "hifi junkie". The D120 was part of a new hifi set up after many years of happily listening to my old one.  I am happy with the D120 but have decided to upgrade for three reasons.  Firstly, I suspect I will get some improved sound quality.  The D200 was just outside my budget when I bought my new system - being from the old school - I went for the better quality speakers at the expense of the amp.  Secondly, the D220 will be in line for further technical upgrades.  While I am "old school" I was an early adopter of digital music both as compact discs and now as digital download/streaming.  There could be further improvements to the stability and quality of the whole digital environment.  And thirdly, who can resist a bargain!  It certainly is for the D120 owners. Fortunately, I can now afford this so have signed up for it as soon as the offer became available.

I cannot envisage Devialet keeping this offer open for ever.

Messages In This Thread
RE: So, who is planning to upgrade to a Pro? - by Will - 28-Oct-2016, 20:56