Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Room correction with D400 and B&W 800D
(27-Aug-2016, 14:32)srima Wrote: I can't stand watching hotel TVs because the picture is so badly out of whack to my eyes! 

I came across this post searching for EQ info, but this is so true. In fact, true of pretty much every TV I've seen in shops and friends houses too. Everything cranked up to the max - contrast, sharpness, saturation, filtering. Result: a state of the art TV making everything look like it was shot on a cheap video camera. Angry

Your comments about measuring and the difference room EQ makes compared to other tweaks are of course also true. Measuring my room took the guesswork out of what was going on. Hoping for some EQ curves and correction in the next Roon release which will make it a complete ecosystem for me at that point.

Another interesting point (since you used the TV analogy) is that image calibration is pretty well understood and established now in the film world - to the point where whatever system you view on, in any facility, and across monitors or projected screens, you're pretty sure what you're seeing is what's intended within fairly tight margins. Gone are the days of meaningless feedback based on someone viewing something completely out of whack their end. Yes, years were spent where artists and clients argued over things like colour viewed independently on uncalibrated monitors. The science isn't actually that simple, but it got there.

I audio the situation is waaaay worse. As I understand there's not really an agreed calibration standard sound for mixing/mastering studios - everyone has their own flavours. But down at the home user level or reviewer level, comments are made about components an their resulting sound without any idea about the persons room, or their hearing, before we even get into preferences. I know I've done it in the past - written things about X speaker or Y amp, which looking back was probably quite meaningless or even misleading. Then there are people that will buy a pair of speakers because someone else says they sound great.... Wink

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Messages In This Thread
RE: Room correction with D400 and B&W 800D - by Hifi_swlon - 27-Aug-2016, 20:46