Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Gold measurements: a stunning web first!
(24-Sep-2016, 13:08)srima Wrote:
(24-Sep-2016, 10:23)ogs Wrote: The overall frequency balance is quite similar to measurements I got from the White Phantoms.
I agree with Gremlin though; your measurements does show Phantom AND room. With some experimentation on placement  you'd be able to sort out the bass issues shown in the measurements.
Is there an option to extract a step response in the OmniMic software?

Again, that's what I want: room + speaker is what I hear, and the input to room correction. I have no interest in some sterile anechoic response, which tells me nothing about how the speaker actually sounds in my listening room. 

Moving speakers by trial and error in a room to fix response anomalies is a 19th century approach: painful, tedious, mostly ineffective in many cases, and largely unnecessary in the modern DSP world of digital bits. What I plan to do is simply insert a digital equalizer (even a relatively cheap one like a Behringer is transparent in the digital domain, and there are much fancier ones like Z-systems), and reduce the large bass hump, and trim the treble a bit. The Behringer 2496, for example, has a mode that automates this. Tools like this are now used in every recording studio in the world. Studio engineers don't move heavy studio speakers around -- they just fix the response in the digital domain. Of course, some room treatment is useful, especially in the treble range.

I forgot to mention that the responses I am showing are with the "blended" option in OmniMic, which means that room effects in the high frequency region are eliminated (by trimming the impulse response and looking only at the primary response, and not the later response). So, what you are seeing above the bass region is indeed the true sound of the speaker, and to the extent possible, room effects are eliminated by the software. The software has also the option of eliminating  room effects altogether, which I can also show.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phantom Gold measurements: a stunning web first! - by srima - 24-Sep-2016, 13:34