Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIR not yet compatible with Yosemite for MAC
(17-Oct-2014, 10:45)rik Wrote: That's true.

I've put a small SSD in my (music) Mac Mini & store all the iTunes music on my other Mac (Also a Mini) which has a large external RAID array attached.

But you are right, a new Mac Mini + 1Tb SSD would make an excellent stand alone music server (controlled by the Remote app on a iPad or iPhone).

Rik

Hi Rik'

Just interested whether the SSD had any impact on the sound quality? I currently hold all my music on a 2TB HDD, Wyred4Sound (W4S) Music Server which works well playing direct, via USB, into my D400. W4S are now offering a SSD upgrade to the Music Server and I am wondering whether to go ahead and have the upgrade done. I can understand the potential +ve attributes of SSDs in that they have no moving or mechanical parts and feature flash-based memory, give superior shock resistance, a supposed reliability increase over HDDs. They should also give almost instantaneous data access, quicker boot ups and faster file transfers compared with HDD and the big plus to me, be much quieter than HDDs. I have not experienced the use of SSD as a music store, or music server, so have no idea as to it's impact on sound quality - logic should dictate that it should be all +ve given that they are electrically quieter, faster and not subject to shock.

Welcome input from all who have experience of going from HDD to SSD Servers.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: AIR not yet compatible with Yosemite for MAC - by brit - 17-Oct-2014, 11:13