Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
24-bit, macOS - Which player ?
(17-Dec-2016, 16:01)arcam Wrote: I acquired a couple of 24-bit tracks recently. I decided it was a good time to try some of the players others have recommended. After some fiddling with configurations based on prior threads from this forum, I am happy to report results and need further help.

What I have found so far is 24-bit provides some improvement, but only marginally.

Also, each player seems to have its own sonic personality and I am not sure which is closer to the groundtruth. Perhalps none, and perhaps it also depends on the recording.

Here's what I have perceived so far:
  • iTunes + BitPerfect: BitPerfect crashes too often for this to be a reliable solution on Sierra. Also, random access to a track will desync Devialet Air and it will play garbage after this.
  • iTunes + MIDI Configurator: The sound seems natural in general (but how to tell?). The sound can be a little bit harsh sometimes.
  • Amarra: Sound closest to iTunes (and the ground truth?) as far as I can tell.
  • Audirvana+: The sound is gentler, more polished / esthetic that any of the others; but if I had to guess, I'd say it's been filtered, which reduces confidence.
As for the comparison between 16-bit/24-bit, I haven't noticed much difference on the couple of tracks that I have been going through. Except, maybe, that on louder /complex passages, the sound was a little bit harsher in 16-bit. These passages seems easier to listen to at higher volume in 24-bit, with less fatigue and less willingness to turn the volume down.

Is this similar to what other people have found?

Has anyone found a way to get closer to the groundtruth? which is, after all, for us Pro-owners, what we're after.

I find it difficult to argument on 16bit vs. 24bit even if you get both rips of a dual layer SACD which I have a lot of ('fat lady' ripping machine  Wink ). You can not know how each 16bit and 24bit layer were produced/mastered.

As we know from tuning our systems it might be just one different cable changed during mastering/copying each layer that has such an impact on the sound that comparing 16bit/24bit is useless.

The best way I find comparing 16/24 bit recordings is to use a 24bit rip/recording and convert it down to 16/44.1 with some software like Korg Audiogate or else and then compare it. Sure there is also a difference in the sampling algorithms of these Conversion-Software so each will sound different.
I can also imagine that if you release a 24bit recording you give more enthusiasm to the technical process and use better equipment hence the 24bit release sounds better than the 'old' 16bit.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin

Messages In This Thread
24-bit, macOS - Which player ? - by arcam - 17-Dec-2016, 16:01
RE: 24-bit, macOS - Which player ? - by Xander - 17-Dec-2016, 17:11
RE: 24-bit, macOS - Which player ? - by arcam - 18-Dec-2016, 21:34
RE: 24-bit, macOS - Which player ? - by arcam - 18-Dec-2016, 21:37
RE: 24-bit, macOS - Which player ? - by yabaVR - 17-Dec-2016, 18:13
RE: 24-bit, macOS - Which player ? - by baddog - 18-Dec-2016, 03:07
RE: 24-bit, macOS - Which player ? - by arcam - 18-Dec-2016, 21:29
RE: 24-bit, macOS - Which player ? - by f1eng - 18-Dec-2016, 13:50