Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headless Mac as a music server/streamer - hints and tips
With my 2012 Mac Mini - 8 GB memory - Core i7 - I have no issues with running it headless and without the dongle. No performance issues when logging in remote. If you should see any screen re draw issues in the GUI while doing this adding the dingle is easy and inexpensive - I used the Displayport to VGA adapter than came with mine and added a resistor as documented here:

Dongle

Or you can buy one, they are relatively inexpensive. As I have another Mac I used screen sharing so I could access the headless Mac Mini, you can also use something such as Teamviewer, or several other programs depending on what you wish to use as a control point.

I enable autologin at boot, so the only time I need to remotely login is when I want to shut the Mac Mini down, or course you can also configure the button on the back of the Mac Mini to do that for you (though you still have to get up and press it).

By the way, my default admin account does still require a password to perform certain system level changes, even though the password is not required to login to the system.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US

Messages In This Thread
RE: Headless Mac as a music server/streamer - hints and tips - by baddog - 13-Jan-2017, 02:17