Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phono Amps and/or SUT
(27-Jan-2017, 17:16)Jim_Anderson Wrote:
(27-Jan-2017, 14:06)f1eng Wrote: The Elevator is not a SUT it is a powered pre-preamp so not really needed with a Devialet which already has one built in.
is the suggestion then no sonic benefit can be derived from adding in the Elevator EXP?  I certainly do not wish to add in a new piece to the chain that doesn't add more to the musicality.  

I may still try it as I don't know what I'm missing but if I can avoid the $1500+ expense of the Graham and for connections, then that is definitely a good thing. 

If others have benefited from adding in a reasonably good phono stage, I would love to hear what yo feel you gained from it.

Jim

I can see no reason for the Elevator to improve the sound unless it adds some euphonic distortion you like. I have tried my Devialet using a Goldmund PH2 phono stage which was state of the art (and price) when available. I would say it sounded fine but the inbuilt phono stage in the Devialet is the simplest, most accurate and adjustable for matching solution if you are using a Devialet amp IMO.
I use an Ortofon T3000 step up transformer with my Ortofon A90 cartridge since I own it and it is perhaps a touch quieter when properly earthed (adds a huge amount of hum if not) but I have used it straight in too, but only on my old D-Premier when the phono stage had much less adjustability.
IMO musicality is the responsibility of the musicians, not the hifi Smile
IME when hifi enthusiasts go on about musicality in equipment it is usually means it is adding euphonic distortion which they like more than the unadulterated reproduction of the recording.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Messages In This Thread
Phono Amps and/or SUT - by Jim_Anderson - 27-Jan-2017, 05:31
RE: Phono Amps and/or SUT - by Soniclife - 27-Jan-2017, 12:03
RE: Phono Amps and/or SUT - by f1eng - 27-Jan-2017, 14:06
RE: Phono Amps and/or SUT - by Jim_Anderson - 27-Jan-2017, 17:16
RE: Phono Amps and/or SUT - by f1eng - 27-Jan-2017, 17:49
RE: Phono Amps and/or SUT - by Jim_Anderson - 27-Jan-2017, 18:35
RE: Phono Amps and/or SUT - by Soniclife - 27-Jan-2017, 18:28
RE: Phono Amps and/or SUT - by Confused - 29-Jan-2017, 10:16
RE: Phono Amps and/or SUT - by Blackmorec - 15-Jan-2018, 10:46