Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mconnect app with Tidal/Qobuz
Hi DevHeads

Getting good results with the mconnect app streaming from Tidal and Qoubz through my Krell streamer (s/pdif).

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/mconnect...60460?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...d&hl=en_GB

The paid version (few quid) gets rid of the annoying adverts - try free first.

Also controls my NAS via gigabit switch - so basically all my non-CD/Vinyl music controlled from iPad.

The app is a bit clunky and idiosyncratic but you get used to it. The Tidal experience is not as good as via Roon but it is ok.

First time I've really used Tidal and Qobuz for an extended period of time. Absolutely fabulous in terms of choice - listening to loads of stuff I would not normally entertain. However, both Tidal and Qobuz are very patchy in terms of sound quality. Sometimes things are as good as my best physical sources and dbamp ripped CDs to NAS. Other times things lack dynamics and sound a bit tame. The real kicker is that there are often two (or more versions) of the same album.

For example, check out 'Highway Companion' by Tom Petty on Tidal. One version sounds great the other sounds quiet and muted - increased volume does not seem to help. Strangely both have the same bit and sample rate, and kbps Flac quality. I have found the same with several albums now - one definitive, one (or two) mush.

Any thoughts on what's going on here?

Kevin
ps Roon through Air3 has the edge - bit more air and clarity - but since I foolishly upgraded MacMini to Sierra OS Air3 is struggling - bugger!
Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK