Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where is SAM-lab?
Guillaume made a very interesting (& very slightly off topic) post yesterday regarding the whereabouts of SAM lab.  This reminded me of some thoughts I had a while back, plus it made me wonder.  Where is SAM lab?  Is it retired?  Abandoned?  Maybe it is on tour?

So, does anyone know where it is?  Has anyone seen it recently?

With that question asked, I am still left wondering.  I thought from the beginning that the SAM Lab concept was good, but it's implementation a little misjudged.

Consider that when someone buys a Devialet amp, Devialet get a little profit.  All of the SAM Lab stuff is costs and overheads for Devialet.  So lets say I splash out £140k on some KEF Muon speakers or something, I might want to get these SAM'd.  Now I would say that anyone who was willing an able to spend that sort of cash on a pair of speakers would also very likely be happy to pay for a personal SAM Lab visit.  So SAM Lab rather than being an overhead, it could be a revenue stream. 

Indeed, Devialet could train a some staff in their 'premium' dealers to use SAM Lab, and every now and again each Dealer could be lent the kit, and the dealer could offer a SAM Lab service to their customers.  In the long term this would be far more cost effective than flying Devialet personnel around the planet.  Plus, it would offer a nice 'unique selling point' for the Devialet Expert range.

Having written all that, I suspect the SAM Lab has indeed been abandoned due to the fact it costs too much implement.  I might be wrong?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
It likes to stay elusive and briefly re-appear in a wave of media interest - I guess they based it on The Loch Ness Monster.

(It's also in far too pretty a box for any serious scientific/lab kit)

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

My guess is the engineers who would run it are busy on another project, and it will reappear again when whatever it is gets finished. So don't hold your breath.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
I Agree +1
SAM MIA   Cool
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
simply may be a sub-contract to a proper thoroughbred acoustical scientific lab ... Devialet uses 'em as and when required for a fee ..
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
There is a SAM lab tour in Norway this week. Stavanger tomorrow June 14, Bergen June 15 and Trondheim June 16. All in Spaceworld Soundgarden. I got info on email this morning. Very short notice, but good news. I can finally get my speakers SAM'ed (I hope)

EDIT: decided to create a new thread for this in Devialet News
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
During the recent SAM Lab session I was told that SAM Lab was indeed paused for some time. Devialet has obviously discovered that SAM is important to both customers and themselves and restarted the effort. Maybe this thread has contributed?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I got my speakers SAM:ed in Sweden earlier this week. Very very happy with the results :Smile
Glad to see that they have started adding models to the SAMlibrary again.