Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I upgrade from Naim 272/250dr?
Hi jukemark,

I was a Naim owner, but admittedly at the lower end of the product line. However, I owned Naim for about 10 years before moving to a D120, which I upgraded to a D220 pro last fall. Before the D120 I was going to go up the Naim chain, but discovering the Devialet made that move unworkable.

I personally find the Devialet very smooth, but it is also revealing and detailed in a way that Naim may not be until you get to the 300 series of Naim separates. I do think that there is detail, tone and clarity in the Devialet bass that Naim struggles to match, except again for the much more expensive strata. I also think that the Pro series of Devialet has a transient quickness that really does give the pace that Naim has; I never missed the PRaT with the D120 and certainly not with the D220.

Another difference is that, to my ear, the Devialet reveals micro dynamics and tonal changes in a superb way; I never heard Naim do it as well. And for all the Naim forum discussion of 'emotional' presentation, I don't think Naim has anything on the chrome pizza box.

As I said, I had Naim and I loved it and bored all my friends with my enthusiasm about it. So I'm not dismissing the black boxes at all.

Regarding streaming, I use a Wyred4Sound Sonos Connect, which, while not perfect, is really very good. I had nothing but rage-inducing grief with UPnP on my Naim, so that alone would have motivated me to move. But be aware that not everyone here is getting the streaming performance they want.

Anyhow, there are quite a few ex-Naim owners here; PhilP is one who was particularly helpful to me in understanding the differences between the two systems. BTW, cables of all sorts seem to be very important on the Devialet, and could easily make the difference between 'smooth' sound and a less settled presentation.

Your Naim equipment and PMC's are of recent vintage and technology, so it would be interesting to read your thoughts about the comparison.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should I upgrade from Naim 272/250dr? - by Damon - 09-Apr-2017, 23:33