Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SwissBear's system
Hi Christian,
(12-Apr-2017, 12:29)mobaer Wrote: thanks a lot for this very useful information!
This is the way I want to go, too.

Glad if this is helpful.

(12-Apr-2017, 12:29)mobaer Wrote: If I understand correctly, all I need is my Mac mini (Win 7 installed as a second OS), Acourate and a measurement microphone.

Yes you can go this way. But in this case, you will need a display as well as mouse and keyboard connected to the MacMini in order to operate Acourate on the MacMini. Depending how your system is installed, you might be in the middle between the speakers during the measurements, which is not so pleasant. I personally used an old laptop running Windows to run Acourate, and then moved the correction impulses to the Mac via an USB stick when the corrections where finished.

(12-Apr-2017, 12:29)mobaer Wrote: Which microphone are you using (AudioVero sells the Behringer ECM8000) and how do you connect it to your Mac mini?
Do you use an additional sound card? Audio Vero recommends this when using USB microphones, right?

USB microphones (UMik for instance) include their AD digitization card inside the mic. This has the inconvenience that the DA (for sending the impulse) and the AD for analyzing the measurement will be done by different processors. This is the reason why Mitch, the author of the small ebook I pointed to, recommends using a separate sound card.

I personally went this way and purchased a calibrated mic from Uli Bruggeman and added a cheap soundcard (I chose this one: https://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_scar...nd_gen.htm), but you can find slightly cheaper ones). I found the best measurements made at 96kHz, with a sweep up to 33kHz, and therefore avoiding the brutal drop in frequency near the Nyquist frequency, which produces some ripples in the impulses.

Do not forget to buy the adapted cables and the microphone stand. People at Thomann are helpful for this. I personally bought these two cables:
Hope this helps.

Messages In This Thread
SwissBear's system - by SwissBear - 11-Apr-2017, 10:49
RE: SwissBear's system - by mobaer - 12-Apr-2017, 12:29
RE: SwissBear's system - by SwissBear - 12-Apr-2017, 18:51
RE: SwissBear's system - by SwissBear - 17-Apr-2017, 19:29
RE: SwissBear's system - by mobaer - 20-Apr-2017, 14:36
RE: SwissBear's system - by SwissBear - 20-Apr-2017, 15:48
RE: SwissBear's system - by thumb5 - 17-Apr-2017, 19:47
RE: SwissBear's system - by Inox - 17-Apr-2017, 21:58
RE: SwissBear's system - by SwissBear - 18-Apr-2017, 08:46
RE: SwissBear's system - by SwissBear - 19-Apr-2017, 10:27