Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hum starting between -85 to -80db
I was getting hiss and hum using the Benz Micro Glider MC going direct to the phono inputs on my 440 Pro. A friend who has a lot of experience with turntable's and set up, came around with an Ortofon 2M Black, to try out, he thought the higher output would solve the hiss & hum. He set the 2M Black up on my VPI Prime TT, we did a new config using the default settings for the 2M Black in configurator. When the input was selected to Phono, the hiss and hum was quite bad, worse than the Benz Micro. My friend tried many different settings, tried with and without the ground cable, he even tried a few different interconnect cables, all resulted in no change to the hiss and hum. My friend then decided to disconnect the cables from the phono inputs on the amps, the hiss and hum had lowered a bit but was still there, interestingly I went to the level meter bars in the menu and was surprised to see the green level bars sitting around the -60 mark. My friend stated that this is quite alarming that a phono stage would have so much noise. This was repeatable using the phono input on the Master and the Companion. Again this was with no cables whatsoever attached, the level bars went up slightly when the cables were attached. The hum & hiss is really noticeable at normal to loud listening levels in between tracks and on quiet passages of a track. My friend ruled out it having anything to do with the rest of my system as seen in my signature, I have very good power feed from the PS Audio power regenerator and very good isolation of the turntable on my SolidTech rack.

Does anyone here have a similar experience with this level of hum & hiss? do the level meters sit around the -60 mark? any ideas about how to resolve hiss & hum?

I really don't want to go down the path of purchasing a separate phono stage or SUT, the whole idea of an integrated amp is to reduce component box count. 

My friend was surprised to see this problem in a high end expensive amplifier and suggests this is something which Devialet need to fix.
Kii Three & Kii Control. Aurender N100. VPI Prime Turntable with Benz micro Glider SL cart. RCM Sensor2 Phono stage. PS Audio P5 power regenerator.
Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hum starting between -85 to -80db - by G51 - 18-Apr-2017, 12:14
RE: Hum starting between -85 to -80db - by Craig1512 - 30-Dec-2017, 08:20
RE: Hum starting between -85 to -80db - by ogs - 30-Dec-2017, 10:06
RE: Hum starting between -85 to -80db - by ogs - 05-Jan-2018, 11:38