Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hum starting between -85 to -80db
Thanks @baddog and @Soniclife, my good (and very patient!) friend came over today armed with cables and a Rega RP3 TT with Ortofon 2M Blue. Picking up on Baddog's suggestions, heres what we tried and tested.
1. Took the PS Audio P5 out of my system, used 2 stock power cords plugged directly to the wall socket, therefore no other equipment had power to it.
2. Turned anything off in my home that we thought could remotely cause electrical interference, my house is only 2 years old, so electrical's should be okay.
3. Took out my VPI Prime and connected the Rega direct to Dev phono input, used pre sets in Config for 2M Blue.
4. Put my VPI Prime back, tried several phono cables, Cardas Gold Ref, Crystal Picolo Diamond, Audioquest Wild and a couple of varieties of cable made by my friend using Furutech cable and connectors, tried with and without ground cable.
5. Took the Companion out and setup my Master only as a 220Pro

Unfortunately none of the above resulted in any change to the level bars sitting around -60db and the hiss/hum/buzz. The only way to get the level bars down to around the -100db mark and no hiss/hum/buzz was to reduce the Loading to its minimum. Of course this had a dramatic effect on SQ, the Loading for a 2M Black needs to be set to High, as per the Config pre sets. 

This is frustrating, the 2M Black in my system sounds really good, I am very happy with the SQ I am getting, betters the Benz Micro Glider MC. The hiss/hum/buzz is noticeable in quiet passages, in between tracks and with the tone arm lifted, from my listening position (about 2m from speakers) at around -30db volume, my usual listening volume level is around -20db, this is not loud, its just a comfortable listening level.

My friend is convinced the Moving Magnet side of Devialet's phono stage is noisy and not optimal for vinyl playback. I really like the Ortofon sound, my options are to move up the Ortofon chain to something like a Credenza Black MC or similar. Or look to a separate phono stage component, but as I have stated in earlier posts, I am trying avoid adding components into my system. 

BTW, the Crystal Picolo Diamond was the best sounding cable, I was very impressed with SQ with the Picolo used between my TT and the Dev.

Images below is what I am seeing on the Dev screen and my config.

Kii Three & Kii Control. Aurender N100. VPI Prime Turntable with Benz micro Glider SL cart. RCM Sensor2 Phono stage. PS Audio P5 power regenerator.
Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hum starting between -85 to -80db - by G51 - 18-Apr-2017, 12:14
RE: Hum starting between -85 to -80db - by ogs - 30-Dec-2017, 10:06
RE: Hum starting between -85 to -80db - by Craig1512 - 05-Jan-2018, 08:26
RE: Hum starting between -85 to -80db - by ogs - 05-Jan-2018, 11:38