Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hum starting between -85 to -80db
All very odd.

With MC and a Koetsu set to 0.35 mv I get hiss quite audible from listening seat. Par for the course on most phono stages with low output carts. Another Dev user (Koetsu Tiger eye and Lyra) also gets same level of hiss and a quite different room.
I tried a SUT for a few months in my system (EAR MC4) but overall found it slightly softened dynamics and also had a slight, not unpleasant, sheen to the sound. Immediately I preferred it without, including the hiss.

Someone has probably suggested this but have the MC and MM selectors in your amp been wired the wrong way round? (probably meaningless as they are all switched on a chip). It might be worth selecting MC and then putting in the 5v setting for your MM cart??

Also - bad idea to have a phono stage 'live' whilst it has nothing plugged in to it. A static discharge can take out your amp and speakers! An old timer told me how he wrecked his amp by touching one of the unplugged phonos of a tube phono stage. All about earthing in a closed loop or something. It may be different for Dev but not worth the risk. I inadvertently powered my Dev up once with phono unplugged and the hiss was much louder and there was an alarming humming from one of the speakers that told me not to do that again! My vinyl system is very sensitive to ground loop hums.

Good luck

Kevin
Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK     

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hum starting between -85 to -80db - by G51 - 18-Apr-2017, 12:14
RE: Hum starting between -85 to -80db - by ogs - 30-Dec-2017, 10:06
RE: Hum starting between -85 to -80db - by ogs - 05-Jan-2018, 11:38
RE: Hum starting between -85 to -80db - by KIBM - 07-Jan-2018, 18:32