Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rchinn's system
After a month or so reading this forum, I bought a second-hand Pro today and hooked it up. 

Here it is up close...
[Image: 5q0qM0U.jpg]

And this is the longer view, the table with the kitchen behind me is my main seating position when working on the laptop...
[Image: 3jsBcIP.jpg]

Devialet 220 Pro
B&W 683 S2, connected with QED XT40 speaker cable 
Chromecast Audio plugged into Optical 1, running Spotify (waiting for loseless) 
A heavily modified Technics 1210 into Line 1
Google Wifi station close by

Previously I was bi-amping with two 50W amps, a separate DAC and separate phono stage, so its been nice to clear away all the clutter. I still need the turntable PSU, otherwise it would be streamlined.

I'm trying to figure out best SAM level, but no hurry there. I didn't realise how simple the remote was. I had imagined the Devialet logo in the centre wasn't fixed but a LED display. Handy to be able to change the volume sure, but harder to see SAM level and change that from being seated the table. The iOS remote is at least handy to see what source is selected when toggling between Optical and Wifi.

Sound quality wise its a good improvement on what I had before. Overall there is better clarity and detail. It's got a lot more power in reserve but I'm mainly listening around -37 db. Some tracks show up the improvement better than others. The new Brian Eno is particularly good.

I'm just at the beginning of my hifi journey. So when I've accrued some money again, I'll start to look at speakers upgrade choices. I don't think better cables will do much for my current set-up. Same goes for power, it just feels like a less important thing to invest in. 

I appreciate seeing other peoples set-ups. Rocketmannequin's one for example is more of my world, where the system has to live in an everyday room. I guess our couch placement is not ideal, especially when sitting on it. From the table is pretty good. Any tips for improving room set-up while still having a normal lounge are appreciated. One idea is to eventually buy two matching sofas that face each other, but turn them 90 degrees from the current sofa position.

Anyway nice to meet you all.
220 PRO CI (12.2.6) - B&W 683 S2 - Audioquest Niagara 1000 - Chromecast + iFi SPDIF 
Technics 1210 (AudioMods arm, AT-150MLX, Mike New bearing + platter, crystal mat, Isonoe feet, external DC PSU) Stockholm, Sweden

I love the 1210! What tone arm is that?

Much respect for that record shelf too!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
A fellow botanist! Nice setup with clean lines and the Dev as a work of art fits right in. Even the cables at the back of the Dev are not visible. From your table the setup seems fine, but from the couch probably less so. Would you not connect your TV to the Dev and place the speaker on either side of it facing the couch?

I hope that the new Dev app that will come with the streamer will allow for monitoring of SAM, treble, bass and other settings in that you can't see from a distance. The current app is highly limiting.

I too am tempted to save for my next upgrade project but do also take the advice that you will get rapidly diminishing returns to scale. If you're into B&W then the new 802 D3s are beautiful if you can spare the change! Devialet in their SoHo NY demos their Experts with B&W D3s as well.

Better stop there before the forum kicks me out for making this more about interior design than audiophile performance prowess...
220 Pro CI - B&W 804 D3  - B&W DB3D - Siltech Explorer - Mac Mini (2018/SSD) - AudioQuest Pearl USB & Ethernet - Sennheiser HDV 820 & HD-800S - Roon (Lifetime) - Tidal HiFi
New York, NY
(25-Apr-2017, 21:51)Confused Wrote: I love the 1210!  What tone arm is that?

The arm is Audio Mods Classic II arm. A guy in England takes a Rega 303 arm, strips its, drills it, recables it and builds a completely new mount. This arm is running an Audio Technica AT150MLX, but I guess eventually I'll drift into MC territory. 

Before I upgraded amp, the turntable was the major project. The Art of Sound forum is a great guide for what you can do with them. In addition to the arm, I changed the bearing, the platter, the power supply and the feet. It's a wholly upgraded beast.
220 PRO CI (12.2.6) - B&W 683 S2 - Audioquest Niagara 1000 - Chromecast + iFi SPDIF 
Technics 1210 (AudioMods arm, AT-150MLX, Mike New bearing + platter, crystal mat, Isonoe feet, external DC PSU) Stockholm, Sweden

(26-Apr-2017, 02:47)Rocketmannequin Wrote: I too am tempted to save for my next upgrade project but do also take the advice that you will get rapidly diminishing returns to scale. If you're into B&W then the new 802 D3s are beautiful if you can spare the change!
I think the next best sound upgrade I could do would be adjusting furniture, rugs and wall hangings to get some better listening positions.
Speaker wise I'm tempted to explore omnidirectional speakers. They could solve a lot of the room challenges but I don't know how soundstage works out in omnidirectional world.

(26-Apr-2017, 06:50)rchinn Wrote:
(26-Apr-2017, 02:47)Rocketmannequin Wrote: I too am tempted to save for my next upgrade project but do also take the advice that you will get rapidly diminishing returns to scale. If you're into B&W then the new 802 D3s are beautiful if you can spare the change!
I think the next best sound upgrade I could do would be adjusting furniture, rugs and wall hangings to get some better listening positions.
Speaker wise I'm tempted to explore omnidirectional speakers. They could solve a lot of the room challenges but I don't know how soundstage works out in omnidirectional world.

I have no experience with omni directional speakers but I can only imagine they would add more reflections to the mix. Try before you buy would be the way to go.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I love my German Physiks omnis. Highly recommended for difficult rooms, and all rooms.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

(26-Apr-2017, 15:18)AaronG Wrote: I love my German Physiks omnis. Highly recommended for difficult rooms, and all rooms.

Amazing reviews. They sound like great speakers. The HRS 120 look outstanding too. What colour did you go for? 

Do you still have them equidistant from main listening positions or are you less fussy?

Mine are basic black -- I bought a demo pair. I have them in a triangle with the listening position. GP says the basic sound is the same up and down the line because the driver and the way the driver works is the same. What varies is the size of the room that the speaker matches well with and the bass extension.

They do need some distance from the walls. I often sit right between them and because they are omnis and a single driver from 200 hz up they sound like the best (and most open) pair of headphones in the world. If you put them on either side of your desk you'd be amazed.

Also because the omni drivers are at ear level facing up, and the bass is loaded facing the ground you can have all sorts of stuff between the speakers and the listening position.

The company is the best I've dealt with in hifi. Robert Kelly, the fellow in charge of distribution, arranged to have a pair of speaker cables made for me with the same wire that they use for the internal wiring a very reasonable rate. He, and they, are super responsive and helpful.

Finally it matches great with the 220 and is SAM-ed.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

I put it up on the wall yesterday. So quick and easy to do with 4 screws. 

I love it how a sound upgrade can also offer an interior upgrade. Also enables me to get another plant closer to the window. This is a hold plant before I swap out for something a bit bigger.

[Image: NZB2eGY.jpg]