Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice sought: Phantom's worth it?
I have two golds, absolutely great! I heard about the Phantoms some time ago but found it too fancy to consider. This spring I was looking around to find a decent sound system and stumbled over the Phantoms again. The gold series totally got me. 

What I like is: 
  • AirPlay out of the box. You'll need the Dialog anyway to have stereo. I don't get it why one would have only one Phantom anyway. It just works, no hassle. I tried Tidal, but most of the time I use AirPlay or radio. The radio feature is actually quite good. If found the streams for all my local radio stations I listen to.  
  • Absolutely zero cable mess. I use the sync method via power, no ethernet. I heard it is even better using ethernet, but for me it is already perfect this way
  • With the TreePod they look even more amazing. I never liked the other stands, was one of the reason why I did not buy them. You need stands, don't put them on the floor. It really makes a big difference. They need some air around them as the bass evolves around the speaker
  • Last but not least: the sound is incredibly great. Not only powerful but just absolutely awesome. When it comes to power, it is incredible that this small form factor is capable of this crazy pressure, but this is just the obvious awesomeness. If you sit down and listen, you'll get a great stage, you'll here every detail. I mostly play Jazz with piano, sax and voice. Just great. For pop with heavy bass lines - you won't believe it. Old Pink Floyd albums sound great as well. I'm not so much into classic, there I found it very depending on the recording quality. 
The only drawback I found so far is the fact that the device seem to be unreparable. Since the woofers are quite exposed I can imagine that at some point someone will damage them, if not my kids then probably the friends of my kids ;-) There is some kind of insurance you can buy from devialet, but this seems a bit of a rip-off to me. 

I have no comparison to the silver. But what I heard the difference is quite noticeable, so go for the gold if you can afford. If not, save more and then get the gold ;-)

Messages In This Thread
Advice sought: Phantom's worth it? - by Eggman - 01-May-2017, 01:39
RE: Advice sought: Phantom's worth it? - by gelasma - 02-May-2017, 22:43