Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet vs. USB
Actually I wrote a number of times about it already and I have seen others doing as well. Smile

I've been using AIR since the introduction of the AIR WiFi module for the original D-Premier. After upgrading my D-Premier to 250 specs I started using the ethernet input since I live in a neighborhood with lots of (>40) competing WiFi hotspots causing drop outs some times, despite all the effort I put in optimizing the WiFi connection.

By logical reasoning, of course by mostly using the convictions I had back then about ethernet being better on paper/in theory, but also after hearing that ethernet was best according to a Dutch dealer whose opinions/experiences I trust, I never even considered testing USB back then. And I didn't until very recently when I couldn't understand why I wasn't getting the same results as others (people on the computeraudiophile/JPlay forums) out of optimizing my PC music server. I can't remember why exactly but at some point I did try USB (probably because I was also playing with the Cubox at time which was connected to the USB input of the 250) and when I did I was very surprised at what I heard, it was actually sounding better than AIR with "merely" a AQ Carbon USB cable! I had actually just bought a 695 euro costing AQ Diamond ethernet cable so you can probably understand the "shock" I had. Smile It all got even better after upgrading the USB cable, injecting clean +5V power to the 250's USB input etc. (see also my systems topic)

Although I agree with PhilP his arguments I now feel that AIR sounds better than USB on a standard 'not optimized' PC/Mac but USB can get you further/give you a better sound quality after optimizing the PC.

See also these copy-pastes from this topic: http://devialetchat.com/Thread-AIR-not-y...22#pid4522

(17-Oct-2014, 15:10)Antoine Wrote: A more general statement, also in response to Guillaume's post above; Kunter wrote it earlier: computer audio is easy, getting great/the best sound from a computer is the hard part. Smile And I fully agree with him. Of course purpose built music playback hardware (like CD players, streamers etc.) usually sounds at it's best out of the box without the (real) need for it's user to tweak and fiddle much.

For anyone exploring or building an -optimised- music server, be it based on Windows or Mac, avoiding AIR and using USB will get you better results. If you use a regular PC/Mac without any tuning/care to playback optimization I still think AIR ethernet is better. WiFi in my opinion should be avoided completely unless you live somewhere without any close neighbors.

O, personal opinion, Mac Mini is relatively expensive and difficult to optimize. I myself would never choose that solution. General, but carefully selected hardware will outperform the Mac mini, with a bigger bang for the buck, and do it easier. If you don't want to chase the best SQ possible and want a drop in, small, esthetically most 'correct' lifestyle kind of product then Mac Mini is your choice but don't expect it to outperform a purpose built streamer like, for example, an Aries or any optimized computer music server. Smile

(17-Oct-2014, 16:04)Antoine Wrote: I'm not sure as to the why myself. It looks like AIR is perfect for non-optimized systems (and give you say 85% regardless of the system used or how it's configured) but can become a bottleneck at a certain point in time when you're making the optimizations. I've only realized/experienced this myself over the last few weeks but was surprised that I wasn't getting the results others (not Devialet users) did and it turned out switching to USB lifted these "restrictions".

A lot is written about why optimizing a PC/Mac helps improve SQ. But no one can really explain this for the full 100%. A lot of it seems to boil down to a need for an optimized power delivery (as clean as possible, with separation of/dedicated power to, for example the power to a SSD or USB interface) and a low latency almost real-time connection to a DAC and a computer that performs the least amount of concurrent tasks and processes. AIR is anything but 'real-time'/low latency so perhaps this is a possible reason. (just a thought)

BTW. I should have listened to Hermanh back in June when he wrote this in my systems topic. Turned out he was right and I haven't even used any Paul Pang components except for the Red SATA cable! Blush Wink

http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Antoine-s...607#pid607
(14-Jun-2014, 08:08)Hermanh Wrote: Hi Antoine,
Before upgrading your PC components you should check The Paul Pang website.
http://ppastudio.blogspot.tw
Every Paul Pang component I installed had a very big effect on the overall sound of my system. The combined effect is astounding.
The "source first" principle is easely demonstrated with an audio pc, so much to improve in this area.
USB sounds better than ethernet or wifi in my setup.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands

Messages In This Thread
Ethernet vs. USB - by PeterS - 04-Nov-2014, 22:24
RE: Ethernet vs. USB - by IGuardianI - 04-Nov-2014, 22:43
RE: Ethernet vs. USB - by PhilP - 04-Nov-2014, 22:44
RE: Ethernet vs. USB - by Antoine - 04-Nov-2014, 23:47
RE: Ethernet vs. USB - by MusicLover - 05-Nov-2014, 01:04
RE: Ethernet vs. USB - by JohnnySix - 25-Nov-2014, 14:08
RE: Ethernet vs. USB - by sunny14148 - 27-Nov-2014, 02:47
RE: Ethernet vs. USB - by Antoine - 27-Nov-2014, 23:38
Ethernet vs. USB - by xy1689 - 28-Nov-2014, 00:16
RE: Ethernet vs. USB - by Confused - 28-Nov-2014, 00:53