Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running AIR & ROON on an Intel NUC
(22-May-2017, 16:42)brit Wrote:
(22-May-2017, 07:28)Jnan_devi Wrote: Thanks for Links above. The ROCK is it called as Nucleus? it says Nucleus for $1200  &  Nucleus+ for $2000

IMHO - Thats expensive. I would still pick up NUC + a good 1/2TB SSD on board so ROON need not get into ETH -> seek out NAS (probably spinning) and then fetch -> back to NUC -> streaming through USB/ETH (for Devialet AIR) -> to respective devices. Onboard SSD matters if AIR needs to be used without glitch/cracks etc.

FYI - NUC (6th gen SYH) + 1TB SSD = ~$550

Not too sure whether you have seen this or not, apologies if you have:

http://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

Some useful background and information. 

David
Donot be sorry, on the contrary I m happy to read about ROCK from above link. Thanks for sharing Smile!.

Sorry for this big replay ... bear with me!.

Firstly thank you David for creating this thread!. I was completely off for few months from audio music etc.

Recently I started playing Roon 1.3 (post upgrade) and some how it is not going well. Problems related to NAS. And i still dont have NUC/Equivalent dedicated to my Roon. I always had this pain to start my Mac (Roon Server) and from ipad4 play music. Which means Each time need to boot up Mac (pretty quick but ... still not dedicated) and then wait for Ipad to get its dial 1-800-Roon-Server ( Smile  love writing this)  and then get going. Maybe still not very time consuming but still my setup around Roon is not dedicated. I was seriously considering to pick up NUC shortly (<1month).

However if I have NUC, dedicated to Roon, it still needs to boot up Win-10 (whatever) and then ROON comes alive followed by ipad dialing 1-800-xx.

I just opened the ROCK link you have posted above and am still reading it back and forth while writing here. So ROCK is dedicated OS, which can be installed on NUC (assumed specs per Roon), and needs no WIN-10/whatever?
==> This is AWESOME news Smile!. Power-On the NUC and ROON OS will boot up and ROON-Server is ready. THIS is FANTASTIC.

-ROCK can be installed on a Raw NUC (still reading the link, maybe answers are there).
-How to transfer Audio files from NAS to NUC interan SDD? (visible on Ipad/remote devie to operate ROCK? )
-Or we will need Monitor (its fine though) ... just asking early curiosity queries.

Anyways happy reading ROCK to myself!.

All - I would read this link with more curiosity regarding ROCK etc. Anyone share more on ROCK. Do share your experience post ROCK installation. I m sure I will also visit Roon community to read more issues/concerns on ROCK.

/Jnan
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"

Messages In This Thread
Running AIR & ROON on an Intel NUC - by brit - 15-May-2017, 13:44
RE: Running AIR & ROON on an Intel NUC - by Jnan_devi - 23-May-2017, 11:13