Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
MELCO
Is it possible to connect the Melco N1A to 2 Dac's? For example one DAC connected to the USB 3.0 port and the other to the Expansion USB 3.0 port. The whole system would then be controlled via a control point where you could choose which DAC you want to use.
More info about the new Melcos. I wonder if Devialet are going to use AES67 in their new streamerboard as it seems to be AES67 they use in the upcoming cinema setup....

If Melco had a decent app I would have liked to try a N1AH60/2 with USB to my 440. To bad Melco did not implement Roon like Innuos have done.

http://hifipig.com/melco-mkii-range-launched/
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Somewhat curious about the Melco and am considering using it as an audio only NAS. (pure data repository with no media server functionality)

Is it possible to directly connect the Melco in DSM Mode to a Music PC hosting Roon Core & HQPlayer?
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
(18-Mar-2017, 11:21)baconbrain Wrote: Somewhat curious about the Melco and am considering using it as an audio only NAS. (pure data repository with no media server functionality)

Is it possible to directly connect the Melco in DSM Mode to a Music PC hosting Roon Core & HQPlayer?

yes it is possible to do so if you use SOTM SMS-200
So, I have a N1A (first generation) to test and have made some interesting observations.

My desired setup of connecting my Music PC (hosting Roon Core and HqPlayer) directly to the player port of the Melco works without a glitch. HqPlayer can also find my mR which is directly connected to the Music PC via Network Bridge. From a connection perspective, everything works like a charm.

In regards to SQ, I would say there is a slight improvement when accessing the files directly stored on the Melco as oppossed to my QNAP NAS. The overall sound is a tick "punchier" and "snappier" (Apologies, but I am not that great at describing differences in SQ)  Blush

An interesting side effect occured when I connected the LAN port of the Melco to my NetGear Switch and then later directly  connected it to my AVM Router instead. Although I am powering the AVM Router with an HDPlex PSU, it sounded "muddier" than the standard NetGear switch. Actually I was expecting the opposite to be the case.   Huh

All in all, the Melco is a nice piece of kit, and it's ease of use (and quietness) is very enjoyable. Does the improvement in SQ warrant making the investment (in this case purely as a dedicated audio NAS)? IMO, maybe not, but I am not finished with my testing yet... Wink

Exclamation  Update: Added a GISO ethernet isolator between the AVM Router and the Melco and the result was like "wow"! Honestly I have not heard my system sound like this when streaming before. In particular, the Tidal material has gained massive space in the sound stage. Celestial Echo from Malia sounded truely celestial. The signal chain never sounded better and I believe the Melco is here to stay.  Smile
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
I saw a post somewhere (I thought at Roon forums but may even have been here) that Melco has announced (at Munich) Ravenna updates coming via a firmware.
I see there's another product too from Merging/Nadac.

I wonder if this is the start of a trend in domestic hifi? Streamerboard?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Any first impressions from the 2nd gen N1A or N1Z owners ?
Mac Mini ----> Audioquest Diamond USB ---> Devialet Expert 250 ---> AudioQuest Meteor ---> Focal Scala Utopia
Hi, I have compared my Melco N1Z with N1Z/2 last week. After 3 days test I found no drastic reason to exchange my N1Z against the new model Shy
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Hi

Compared N1Z hdd or ssd?
(04-Jun-2017, 20:50)bobxxxx Wrote: Hi

Compared N1Z hdd or ssd

Hello, all devices SSD !!
Correct description: N1Z S.
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria